23. Test of courage

The dark aura that had surrounded this area was unbearable to the point i wanted to run away from here as soon as possible

The freezing weather in the chinju forest had always been a nightmare. Having stayed here for two hours and a half had became so tiring. Me and my dear companion, scara, were commissioned to capture a ghost.

The kamisato clan was holding a test of courage but something went wrong and we were suppose to fix it.

I mean what's gotten into them? I'm terrified and so does scaramouche. We both can't handle a commission like this. I didn't sign up for these commissions! Scaramouche, your mom better pay me well since I'm overworking for her precious son.

Darn it, not a single lady in the waiting do anything like this out of the Tenshukaku. I was clearly robbed by them. The only good thing that comes after this is Ayaka's invitation to komore teahouse. She respectfully invited us to come along this evening. I mean after capturing the wandering ghost, of course.

"We can have a chat once you're done with this commission, isn't that right thoma?" Ayaka giggled and followed by it, thoma nodded "I'd love too."

They were so sure we were gonna end this commission and make it in time for a tea gathering. They have high expectations to be honest. All this time i never really had to deal with an unbelievably stupid commission though. I used to avoid scary things my whole life. Every year the kamisto clan sent the grand Narukami shrine an invitation for the test of courage. It didn't cost anything and anyone who loved to would join but no matter how long kuki begged me to participate, i always refused. And here i am today;

"Scaraaaaaa I'm scared! What if there really is a ghost." I clung to him. He was scared to death too but acted like he isn't scared even though he was way braver than any of those shogun's guard who came along but look around now. They all ran away with the stupidest tricks that we were faced with.

"Hushhh! We must be quiet if we want to find the culprit." He placed a finger on top of my lips as a sign to stay quiet.

I couldn't help but ask again. Having read the room i demanded answer with lower tone "are we really suppose to encounter a ghost and capture it?"