21. training

The sound of swords clashing filled the sparring ground

The sound of swords clashing filled the sparring ground. Scaramouche, the unstoppable sword master who was more talented than all of the shogunate's army, took a step back and waited for an opportunity to strike.

I, on the other hand was attacking him while his guard was down. Having learned a few useful techniques in the past two weeks made it easier to trick everyone including scara but my experience says not to underestimate him.

"There you go, little lady y/n." Scaramouche used his upper hand attack, the speed mixed with his movements made it impossible to dodge.

Soon after i flipped down with his sharp blade pointing at my eyes with inches less to be touched. I giggled "hmm, you won again."

"Good job though, it's just been two weeks eversince we begin training yet you've learned it faster than my previous student." Scara said it out loud with a microscopic smile. Let's be honest it's so hard for him to smile. What a rough personality.

"You had students before?"

"Nevermind, it wasn't a good memory anyway." He dodged the question with a heartfelt answer meaning for me not to dig into it at all. Sooner than that, the subject was once again fixated on my sword wielding skill.

"You're not doing bad." He said that without looking into my eyes.

"Will it kill you to say something nice?"

The breeze that made sakura blossoms dance all around us, stopped for a bit then he answered "nice."

I smiled brightly by a compliment from someone who had a what-are-you-talking-about-i-didn't-say-anything-worth-smiling-for expression.

"You're speed sucks by the way."

"I know that's why i haven't managed to defeat you even once!" I said it with a disappointment tone but scara wasn't helping and only mumbled nonsense "it's alright, you were dumb from the very beginning. I never expected much from you."

"Scara!!!! You're not helping!!!!"

We both laughed at the same time.

“how about another round? You in?” he offered me one last round before resting. I agreed instantly, the thought of having one more chance to defeat him made me a bit happier but the possibility of losing to him once again brought down my hopes.