Bonus chapter | iii

Author's note: I managed to do it, and here you have the last bonus chapter! Though writing has been a bit stressful, because I thought I wasn't going to finish it on time 😅Anyway, hope you like it, and thank you very much for reading and being part of June and Ben's story 💜

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

🚨 On this chapter there are mentions of mental health struggles and infertility. 🚨

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

A couple of years after the previos chapter...

"Meow."

"What..."

"Meeeeow!"

"Pepper?" June murmured.

"Meow!"

"What are you doing... here?" she yawned, slowly opening her eyes.

"Meow, meow" he replied, curling next to her.

"You shouldn't be here. Who let you in?"

"I did."

"What?"

"Good morning, Maxwell" Ben smiled from the door, a tray with food in his hands. "Fancy some breakfast in bed?"

"Always" she smiled, sitting up. "Thank you, husband."

"You're welcome, wife" he smiled back, kissing her cheek and sitting next to her and Pepper.

"Peach juice and coffee, toasts, chocolate cookies, some fruit, a rose that I suspect has come from the garden... To what do I owe this honour?"

"Today is a special day, June."

"Is it?" she said, picking one of the cookies.

"Here" he said, giving her an envelope.

"What is this?"

"Open it and you'll see."

"Happy retirement?" she laughed.

"Happy football retirement" Ben corrected her, pointing at the word he had written on the card.

It was happening. June was retiring from football, her career coming to an end that very same day since Chelsea were playing their last game of the season.

She had thought about it for months before making her final decision, many times regretting it and then telling herself it was the best thing to do. But it actually was the best decision. Her muscles had already started to say no more, and in her heart she felt it was time to start a new chapter.

"I can't believe you got me a card" she laughed again.

"I saw it in the supermarket and couldn't resist myself" he shrugged. "Anyway, eat. We don't want your toasts to get cold and soggy."

"Yes, of course. But what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Aren't you eating breakfast with me?"

"Pepper and I already did, don't worry. Today is all about you, June" Ben said, caressing her cheek.

"Thank you" she replied with a small smile. "Are you ok, tho?"

"Ok?"

"Yeah. About today, about me retiring. Is it... Are you..."

"Am I?" he said, his hand still on her face.

"Is today bringing you bad memories? From when you... from when you had to retire."

"Don't think about that now, June."