Chapter 42: Rejection

Keira's POV
Sicily is beautiful. I'm in love with the landscape if not the scenery that has accompanied me all the way to Mancini.

When I called to tell him I want to talk, he sent a driver to pick me up at the airport. It's been a quiet sceneful drive to this moment when I have finally arrived.

The mansion is something beautiful. It looks like something out of a fairytale in a Mediterranean kind of way. It's not judge a single building. It's two mansions joined together by a separate building in the middle.

As I stepped out of the car, I took a moment to look around at the rest of the smaller buildings keeping it company.

"This way Signorina." The driver addressed me when I got distracted.

I faced forward, taking note of a blonde woman standing at a Juliet balcony. She is smoking a cigarette and had th most irritated gaze. I tore my eyes away, going up a few steps to a grand glass door with floral metal framing on the outside. I entered the grand foyer, welcomed by a soothing breeze from the doors in front of me that remain open.

"Where is Mancini?" I asked.

"He is outside, please go through the doors."

I walked across what seems to be a living room. I raised my eyes above at the grand chandeliers heavy with elegant presence. But my fascination with them was cut short by the same woman I saw outside. She is here in the grand living room with me.

She spoke to me in Italian or is it Sicilian? When I expressed confusion, she stopped talking. "You are the one."

"Excuse me?" I asked her.

She's still holding a cigarette. Her dainty body doesn't complement her aged face. She looks tired.

"You are the whore he is obsessed with."

"I don't know you and you don't know me. Let's hold back the name calling for when we are familiar. Excuse me."

She gripped my arm and yanked me close to her. Her light blue eyes are furious. "You destroyed my home! You have the audacity to show up here? Where I live? Where my children live?"

His ex wife. This is her.

"Let go of me." I pulled free.

She took a sudden step back, looking fearful. I understood why when I felt Mancini's hands on my waist. He squeezed gently.

"Kei. What a sweet surprise."

"In our home?" She questioned him.

I heard him sigh. He gently moved me aside to get closer to her. I don't understand what he said but she left immediately. He took my hand and made me follow him outside.

"I was just having lunch. Have you eaten my dear?" He brought me to the table.

"I'm alright -"

"It won't hurt to eat. It's the first time I'm having you in my home. Per favore, join me." He pulled out a chair for me. I took a seat. He had such a warm smile on his handsome face. "You look lovely."

"Just make up." I allowed him to hold my hand. For a moment I got lost in his brown eyes. There is this heat that consumes me when I think of what we shared when he slept on my bed. I blinked away the blush on my face,gently pulling my hand out of his. I have to focus on the real reason I came here. "I want to talk to you."

"I have a rule. First we eat. Then we talk."

A plate was immediately presented to me. It looks well out together. As instructed, I decided to eat. It's seafood cuisine and pasta on the side. We ate in silence, the ambience of the lake behind us setting the scene for a comfortable afternoon. It's one of those afternoons where going to bed after lunch is definitely an option.