Chapter 21: A Fired Lawyer, Bursted Husband & Pregnant Grandmother

Kei's POV
"Where did you leave it?"

"I don't know!" Marcella stomped her feet like the brat she is becoming.

I have noticed that she is the happiest child until she's not. When she's upset, she turns into a clingy and needy crying mess. She lost her teddy bear. This is just like she lost the yellow bunny and we had to replace it and convince her to like the new one.

"Then how am I supposed to help you?"

"I don't know!" She wept.

I picked her up on our way to the garage. The last car she was in is the black beamer on the far edge. I ask Nick not to carry my children in sport card without a child seag but clearly he doesn't listen. It's just the perks of being in a relationship with a stubborn man.

I grabbed the keys from the safe and approached the dark car tucked away at the edge of the large garage of luxury cars. "Sit here. I'll check." I left Marcella on the hood.

I went through the inside of the pristine car. He doesn't even leave personal life effects in the car. When I came up short, I noticed something solid tucked behind the passenger seat. Curious to find out what it is, I checked.

When I unzipped the dark bag, I saw endless piles of cash and gun in a clear bag.

There are possible for explanations as to why he has a bag full of in his car. I want to trust him but my mind is racing. This has illegal written all over it!

I turned my attention to the trunk. Yes, let's see if there's a body in there. I was surprised to see more bags bigger than the other one. My heart sank to low depths.

Mafia.

It's the only explanation. He said he's out. He promised me. What is this?

I closed the trunk when Marcella came around to see what I'm doing.

"Your teddy isn't here but let's see if we will find it inside the house. Let's go sweetie."

"Let's go for a drive in daddy's fast car!" She has other ideas.

She pushed the button that opens the garage. I saw a woman's shoes and bare legs that led uo to a knee length skirt. I know who she is and I forced myself to smile. I couldn't when I saw her face.

"Katya." I mentioned her name in a flat unenthusiastic tone.

"Aunt Lorrie!" Marcella embraced her immediately.

"Hey you!" She embraced my daughter.

I crossed my arms on my chest and leaned on the car, waiting for them to be done. They exchanged endless greetings until I grabbed her. "Why don't you go look for nonna? She's playing hide and seek with you! She is hiding!" Marcella's eyes lit up. Just like that she has forgotten about her teddy. She ran off calling out for Marianna.

I haven't seen Marianna today. This morning, there was no breakfast. It looks like Marianna has resigned from the kitchen duties. I haven't seen her at all. Marcella should be busy looking for her in this ten bedroom mansion.

Tension between me and my best friend settled after Marcella left us.

"Kei..." She looks speechless. "Uh... I'll get to the point. I haven't found anything that will keep you from going to court."

"Do much effort to keep me around my family! Thank you Katya!'

"I know you are stressed out but don't take it out on me! I'm trying to help you!"

"Are you? Or is it bare minimum?"

She got closer to me. "I have been thinking and I'm worried that once you set foot in court, you may never get another opportunity to get away. Kei I think you should run."