Chapter 23: A Dark Gift

Keira's POV
With everything that has been going on, I haven't had the chance to sit down with Leen and catch up. It feels like the friendship we had  Marseilles has been weakened.

My hearing is in two days. I'm anxious and I'm trying to think of anything but that. I don't know how it will play out. Katya and I are not even speaking. We will see each other in court and it should it all go to hell, she's fired anyway.

On a positive note, Geneviève is the prettiest little thing! I bought her an assortment of gifts from cute clothing to stuffed toys. I know Sinclair has already spoilt her rotten and she's not lacking anything.

"Your dream sort of came true." I smiled at Leen as I gazed down at her daughter. She has the calmest gaze. "A head full of curly hair and blue eyes."

"I wanted a boy." She whined. "But she's perfect. She is beyond what I imagined. Sinclair is so in love with her! You should see their moments together. They melt my heart."

"He always wanted a child of his own. This is good."

"So good. A dream almost come true." She gazed at me. "Tell me about you. Are you okay?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Katya kissing Nick isn't troubling you?"

"Oh that. I have bigger problems."

"What could be bigger than someone making attempts to take your man?"

"Uh... Maybe the nanny should take her. We need to talk."

Leen has been through a lot. From surviving the bomb to losing her mother qnd her father disappearing into thin air. I did not want to burden her.

"What's happening?" She got close to me.

"Okay two things. I'll start with Fiji guy. Remember him?"

"Yes."

"He's making strong moves... not at the moment but he was."

"Okay... Where does Nick stand in all this?"

"He doesn't like it. My second drama is that I have a court hearing in two days."

"Who is the defendant?"

"Me."

She raised her eyebrows at me.

"Why don't I know this? What did you do?"

"Possession of illegal drugs and possibly intentions to distribute."

Leen's jaw dropped and like Courtney would have done, she started laughing. She laughed until the corners of her eyes watered. "What? You? Drug pin Kei? Lol. Don't even! Wait! Are you for real?"

"Yes." I answered solemnly. She stopped laughing. "Kei no! Please don't tell me it was for Nick! I mean if this was Nick I would agree but not you!"

"They weren't mine. They were planted."

"Who would risk that?"

"I don't know but I got arrested. I was in jail for almost three days."

"While I was on this earth and I knew nothing?"

"Yes."

"Where have I been? Kei um so sorry! I'm a terrible friend! I swear Evie, Sinclair and I will be there to support you. What time is the hearing?"

"Tuesday 11:00am."

"I'm going to be there. I will rally this whole neighborhood to be there!"

"Thank you. My backstabbing lawyer says people showing up for me is good for the case. I just didn't know how to ask."