Chapter 24: Russian Princess

Keira's POV
I haven't been myself since she was shot. I find myself lost in darkness I can't explain. It's wrapping its cold arms around me, trying to plunge me deeper into darkness. My nights are sleepless and my days pass me by. I'm battling with guilt. I stood there and did nothing. I did not defend her.

Deep down I couldn't. I remembered the pain I woke up in after the bombing. I remembered the fear and panic of a miscarriage. I remembered Nick's and Sinclair's panicked faces. I remembered Leen's injuries. She was also behind Marianna's close shave with death. She was responsible for Freya's death. Other people were also injured in both the explosion and the shooting at the Harrington residence. Did Scarlet Monae deserve that ending?

I tried to say something. I opened my mouth when he looked at me. But no words in her defense came forth. Seconds later, she was dead. 

I'm meeting Katya to hear what was decided in court over the evidence that she submitted. Mancini gave me an envelop containing surveillance photographs of Brian Lance planting the drugs on me as well as a video demonstrating the same. He called it my freedom and true to his words, the case was dropped. Once again, the prosecution is apologizing to me like they did back when it was about Jason's murder.

"Hey."

I barely stood up. She got the message and sat down. "What happened?"

"You are as free as a bird. They released your car from impound. You are good to go. It's all over."

"And you don't get to get rid of me, do you?'

"Kei, come on. I don't want to get rid of you. This thing with Nick was s moment of weakness. I'm sorry. I promise it's over."

"Like this friendship."

"Kei-"

"You know I love Nick! You know that yet you go after him!"

"That's not fair. Where is his punishment? Why are you punishing only me?"

"His will come." I stood up and she followed suit.

"I'm sorry. Please, don't end our friendship."

"Give me a reason not to."

She chewed on her lip. "Lance was following us around. I... I came to Nick with a problem. It's my father, I think he is hunting me down. I didn't want Lance to catch onto my mob roots so I threw him off by kissing Nick. I wanted him to think we are having an affair. I swear there is nothing between me and Nick."

"Why did you two lie?"

"We... I asked him to lie. I know you don't want him entangled with the mob so I didn't want you to think anything of it."

"So you two lied."

"Kei, don't be rigid about this."

"I have children with this man. He proposed to me, asking me to spend the rest of my life with him. This is serious Katya. I will be as rigid as I damn well please."

"Don't end our friendship. We have come a long way together."

"You should have thought about that before you kissed Nick." We brushed shoulders on my way past her.

I paused for a moment to turn and look at her. She looks sad. What am I doing? Katya would do anything for me. Hurting me is not something she would do. I can't turn my back on her when she has always had my back.

I walked back to her and caught her off guard when I hugged her. I love her more than I'm mad at her.

"I don't understand." She whispered.