Chapter 22 - A Disquieting Revelation

Third Person Pov 

Grace sat in the sterile hotel room, her mind still foggy from the haze of sleep. She blinked slowly, trying to make sense of the unfamiliar surroundings, her senses dulled by the remnants of sedatives lingering in her system.

As she struggled to piece together the fragments of her consciousness, she became aware of the voices around her. Her parents' familiar tones mingled with the softer, more distant voice of Lucius, casting a shadow of unease over the room.

With a groan, Grace shifted in the uncomfortable hospital bed, her movements sluggish as she attempted to sit up. Her eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the harsh glare of the fluorescent lights as she focused on the figures gathered around her.

"Grace, sweetheart, are you awake?" her mother's voice pierced through the haze, filled with a mixture of relief and concern.

Grace blinked, her gaze settling on her parents' faces as they hovered anxiously by her bedside. "Mom? Dad?" she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

A smile tugged at her mother's lips as she reached out to brush a stray strand of hair from Grace's forehead. "Oh, honey, we're so glad you're awake," she said, her eyes shining with tears.

Confusion clouded Grace's mind as she struggled to make sense of the situation. "What... what's going on?" she asked, her voice trembling with uncertainty.

Before her parents could respond, Lucius stepped forward, his expression grave yet determined. "Grace, there's something we need to tell you," he began, his voice steady despite the weight of his words. "Your parents have decided that it's best for you to stay here in London, with me."

Grace's heart skipped a beat at his words, a surge of panic rising within her as she struggled to comprehend their meaning. "Stay... with you?" she repeated, her voice tinged with disbelief.

Lucius nodded, his gaze unwavering as he met her bewildered expression. "Yes," he replied softly. "You'll be receiving therapies and treatments here, under my care."

Shock coursed through Grace's veins as she processed his words, her mind reeling with disbelief. "But... why?" she whispered, her voice trembling with fear.

Her parents exchanged a hesitant glance, their expressions filled with love and concern. "We just want what's best for you, sweetheart," her father said gently. "And we believe that staying here with Lucius is the best chance you have at recovery."

The realization hit Grace like a ton of bricks, her chest tightening with a sense of impending doom. "But he's just my friend," she protested, her voice laced with desperation. "How can you leave me with him?"

Tears welled in Grace's eyes as she looked upon the faces of her loved ones, her heart heavy with the weight of their decision. She felt a surge of betrayal, a sense of abandonment that threatened to consume her whole.

But amidst the turmoil and uncertainty, a glimmer of defiance flickered within her. She may be trapped in a situation beyond her control, but she refused to surrender to despair. With every fiber of her being, she vowed to fight against the odds, to reclaim her autonomy and forge her own path forward, no matter the obstacles that lay in her way.