Chapter 17 - The Dreaded Call

Third Person Pov 

Lucius stood in the dimly lit hospital corridor, his heart heavy with the weight of the task before him. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the difficult conversation he was about to have. With trembling fingers, he pulled out his phone and dialed the number that would connect him with Grace's parents, thousands of miles away in America.

After several rings, a voice answered on the other end of the line, filled with sleep-induced grogginess and concern. "Hello?"

"Hello, this is Lucius," he began, his voice steady despite the turmoil churning within him. "I'm a friend of Grace's."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the line, followed by a sharp intake of breath. "Lucius, what's wrong?" Mrs. Waters asked, her voice tinged with alarm.

"I'm calling to inform you that Grace has been involved in a car accident," Lucius replied, each word heavy with the weight of truth. "She's currently in the hospital here in London."

There was a sharp gasp from Mrs. Waters, followed by a flurry of questions and exclamations of shock. Lucius did his best to answer their inquiries, providing them with as much information as he could about Grace's condition and the circumstances surrounding the accident.

After a few moments, Mrs. Waters regained her composure enough to speak. "Is she alright? How bad is it?"

"She's stable for now," Lucius replied carefully. "But she's still unconscious, and the doctors are monitoring her closely."

There was a heavy silence on the other end of the line, broken only by the sound of Mrs. Waters' ragged breathing. Lucius could feel the waves of fear and anguish emanating through the phone, and he knew that he had to act quickly to ease their distress.

"Mr. and Mrs. Waters, I think it's best if you come to London as soon as possible," he continued, his voice gentle yet firm. "Grace needs you, now more than ever."

There was a murmured agreement on the other end of the line, followed by a flurry of activity as Mr. and Mrs. Waters made arrangements to catch the next flight to London. Lucius could hear the strain in their voices, the raw edge of fear that threatened to overwhelm them, and he knew that he had made the right decision in reaching out to them.

As he hung up the phone, a sense of relief washed over him. He may not be able to erase the pain and uncertainty that lay ahead, but he could offer Mr. and Mrs. Waters the support and reassurance they needed in this darkest hour. And as he waited for their arrival, he vowed to do whatever it took to ensure Grace's recovery, no matter the cost.