Chapter 2 - Meeting a Red Head

Third Person POV

Grace dragged her suitcase behind her as she made her way to the door of her studio flat. She had just arrived from the airport, tired and hungry after a long flight. She fished out her key card and university ID from her bag and swiped the card, unlocking the door.

Pushing the door open, she stepped inside and let out a tired sigh. "Ugh, I'm so hungry," she murmured to herself, looking around the small space.

As she walked over to the small kitchenette, she realized there was no food in the fridge. "Great," she thought to herself, "now I have to go grocery shopping."

Grace grabbed her phone and quickly searched for grocery stores in West London, her new home. She made a mental note to pick up some fresh veggies for a healthy dinner.

Before heading out, she remembered to call her mom and let her know she had arrived safely.

Scene 2 – A Chat with Mom

After a few rings, her mom picks up.

"Hi, Mom! I made it to the flat safely," Grace says, a hint of exhaustion in her voice.

"Oh, thank goodness. How was the flight?" her mom asks.

"It was fine, just a bit long. I am so tired and hungry, but there's no food in the fridge. I need to go grocery shopping," Grace replies, already thinking about all the fresh veggies she wants to buy.

"Well, make sure you eat something first. You don't want to collapse in the grocery store," her mom says, concern in her voice.

Grace laughs. "I won't, don't worry. How's everyone back home?"

"We're all good. Your dad's out in the garden, and your brothers are playing basketball," her mom replies.

"That sounds nice. I miss you guys already," Grace says, feeling a pang of homesickness.

"We miss you too, sweetie. But you are going to have so much fun in London. And you'll make new friends before you know it," her mom says encouragingly.

Grace smiles. "I hope so. Anyway, I better go. I will call you later, okay?"

"Okay, be safe and have fun," her mom says.

"I will. Bye, Mom!" Grace says, ending the call.

Feeling a little more energized after talking to her mom, Grace grabs her purse and heads out to explore West London and stock up on groceries.

Grace could not help but feel excited for this new chapter in her life, even if it meant starting from scratch in a new city.

Scene 3 – Bumping into a Stranger

As I walked through the bustling streets of West London, I could not help but feel a sense of awe at the sheer energy and diversity of this place. The shops and malls were filled with people from all walks of life, each with their own unique story to tell. I found myself wandering aimlessly, taking in the sights and sounds of the city, and enjoying the warm spring weather.

As I turned a corner, I suddenly caught sight of a local vegetable market on the go, with flower shops dotting the edges. The vibrant colors of the produce and the fragrant scent of the flowers drew me in, and before I knew it, I was lost in the crowd of shoppers. It was Sunday, and everyone seemed to be out and about, enjoying the weekend.

As I browsed the stalls, picking out my favorite vegetables and fruits, I suddenly felt a bump from behind. I turned around to see a young woman with fiery red hair, who looked just as surprised as I was. "I'm so sorry!" she exclaimed, flashing a smile. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

"It's okay," I said, smiling back. "I'm Grace."

"I'm Luisa," she replied, and we shook hands. There was something about her that instantly put me at ease, and we fell into an easy conversation as we continued to browse the market. I learned that she was a student, studying art at a nearby university. (University of Hawkwood)

Before I could ask her more about herself, she suddenly glanced at her watch and frowned. "I'm so sorry, Grace, but I'm actually running late for something. Hope to see you soon."

I smiled, feeling a pang of disappointment at the thought of losing this newfound connection. "Yeah, maybe it will," I said, watching as she hurried away. As I walked back through the streets, I could not help but mentally praise her beauty - she was short, about 5'4ft, as per my height of 5'8ft. But more than that, she was the first person who had been genuinely friendly to me in this new city, and I felt grateful for that. I knew that I would keep an eye out for her in the future, and maybe we would cross paths again someday.

I arrived back at my apartment, feeling a sense of relief wash over me as I closed the door behind me. The grocery bags felt heavy in my hands, but I was determined to get everything unpacked and start preparing my meal for the evening. The encounter with Luisa at the market had left me feeling energized and alive, but now the fatigue of the day was starting to catch up with me.

I slammed down the bags on the kitchen counter, feeling a little frustrated with myself for buying too much food. I had always been terrible at estimating how much I needed, and now I was left with a pile of ingredients that needed to be sorted and stored away.

As I started to sort through the bags, I could not help but feel a sense of satisfaction at the thought of starting my new day at the University of Hawkwood. As a PhD student and TA, I had a lot of responsibilities to juggle, but I was ready for the challenge. I unpacked my luggage, setting it down in the corner of the room, and made a mental note to start organizing my space soon.

I sank down onto the bed, feeling the softness of the mattress beneath me. The exhaustion was starting to take over, and I could not help but close my eyes for just a moment. As I drifted off, my mind started to wander, and I found myself lost in a dream about my new life and job.

But as quickly as the dream had come, it faded away, leaving me feeling disoriented and slightly confused. I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and realized that I needed to focus on the task at hand - preparing my meal for the evening. With renewed determination, I got up from the bed and headed back to the kitchen, ready to start cooking.