Chapter 10 - Contemplation in Solitude

Third Person POV

The gentle hum of the air conditioning was the only sound in Grace's apartment as she sank into her favorite armchair, a sense of both weariness and contentment washing over her. The day had been a whirlwind of activity, the memories of the morning's encounter with Lucius Moretti and Luisa's subsequent revelation echoing in her mind.

Her gaze wandered to the window, where the city lights glimmered in the night. The sun's hues had long faded, replaced by the soothing darkness of the evening. The events of the day replayed like scenes from a movie, each frame etched in her memory.

Grace's fingers brushed over the phone beside her, her thumb absently tracing its smooth surface. She had exchanged numbers with Lucius, a step that held a promise of more communication, but the messages remained unsent, words unspoken. The proposal, hovering between them, was like a puzzle piece that didn't quite fit, a question mark that hung in the air.

Luisa's cheerful voice echoed in her thoughts, the memory of their conversation replaying vividly. "I was bored and saw there was a seminar in the Linguistics department. I saw your name on the board and decided to hop in. It was a pleasant surprise!"

Grace had sighed with relief upon hearing Luisa's explanation. Her heart had fluttered with a mixture of emotions, grateful that Luisa's decision to attend the seminar had been driven by curiosity rather than an orchestrated plan. The small knot of unease in her chest had loosened, and she had been able to approach the rest of the day's activities with a clearer mind.

As she sipped her tea, Grace's thoughts turned to Lucius. The enigmatic man had occupied her mind more than she cared to admit. She could still see the spark of vulnerability in his eyes when he had asked her out, a side of him that defied his reputation. She appreciated his directness, the genuine question he had posed, but she wasn't sure how to proceed.

Their exchange of numbers had been a step into the unknown, a bridge she could choose to cross or let fade into the distance. The offer hung in the air, the decision hers to make. Yet, with every passing moment, the weight of that choice seemed to grow heavier.

Grace's phone chimed softly, interrupting her thoughts. Her heart skipped a beat as she picked up the device, her fingers hesitating over the screen. A text notification blinked, the name "Lucius" displayed beside it. Her pulse quickened as she opened the message, her eyes scanning the words.

"Hello Grace, I just wanna say. I enjoyed meeting you today, and I was wondering if you might be interested in that date I proposed earlier. If the answer is yes, I'd be honored. If not, I understand. Take your time."

The message was brief and straightforward, a contrast to the complexity of emotions swirling within Grace. She stared at the screen, her heart and mind in a tug-of-war. The weight of her response seemed to bear more significance than she had ever imagined.

With a sigh, she set her phone down and leaned back into the armchair, staring at the ceiling. The events of the day, the encounters, the emotions—they all converged in this moment of contemplation. The choice was hers, and as her mind sifted through the memories and the possibilities, Grace knew that whatever she decided, it would shape the course of her life in ways she could not yet fathom.