Chapter 16

Alistair was released from the hospital, a mix of relief and wariness flooding him as he walked out of the front doors. Detective Cooper had informed him that no charges would be pressed against him, but Alistair still felt a lingering unease. He had given an official statement of events for the case, recounting the confrontation with Adam Gregory as Cooper needed to wrap up the investigation. However, he made it clear to Cooper that this was the last of his involvement in the matter.

The media storm that followed Adam Gregory's death was a spectacle Alistair wanted nothing to do with. News headlines over the next few days proposed all manner of reasons for Gregory's death, from corporate rivalry to personal vendettas, yet Alistair remained detached. He didn't care what the public believed; all he wanted was to move on with his life.

Returning to his apartment felt bittersweet, as the familiar scent of home provided a sense of comfort he had missed. His friend Iain, who had been taking care of his cat, Morris, greeted him at the door.

"Welcome back," Iain said with a nod. "You made it through."

"Yeah, I'm still here," Alistair replied, his voice dry with a touch of sarcasm.

Iain chuckled and handed him Morris's food dish. "Glad to see you in one piece, Alistair. You know Morris missed you."

Alistair glanced at the cat, grateful for his company. "Missed him too," he admitted, scratching the top of Morris's head.

The apartment felt different, even though nothing had changed since he left. Alistair's life had been turned upside down in a little over a week, and he couldn't deny the impact of recent events. His world had been shaken, and now, all he wanted was to find some semblance of normalcy.

"How are you feeling?" Iain asked, concern evident in his tone.

"I'll be fine," Alistair said, though he could hear the fatigue in his own voice. "Just need to rest and clear my head."

"You've been through a lot, Alistair. More than anyone should," Iain said, his expression serious. "I'm here if you want to talk about it."

Alistair offered him a half-hearted smile. "Thanks, but you know me—I'm not much for talking."

Iain nodded, understanding Alistair's tendency to keep things to himself. "Well, you know where to find me if you ever change your mind."

"Yeah, I know," Alistair replied, a hint of gratitude in his voice. "Thanks for watching Morris."

"No problem," Iain said, smiling. "You know I'd do anything for you, Alistair. Take it easy, alright?"

"Yeah," Alistair responded, giving Iain a nod. "I'll do my best."

With that, Iain left the apartment, leaving Alistair alone with Morris. Alistair took a moment to take in his surroundings, the weight of everything he had been through hitting him. He needed time to process it all, but for now, he was grateful for the small moments of comfort—his cat, his home, and a moment of solitude.

Over the next few days, Alistair tried to adjust back to his life of solitude. He filled his days with mundane tasks, trying to find a sense of normalcy amidst the upheaval he had recently experienced. But even as he resumed his usual routine, there was an emptiness that lingered, a void that August and Eli had left behind.

At night, Alistair would head to a local bar, seeking refuge in the familiar haze of alcohol. It provided a temporary escape from the turmoil inside him, a way to drown out his thoughts. He would sit at the bar, nursing his drink and watching the patrons around him, immersing himself in the chatter and the buzz of laughter.

One night, he met a blonde girl named Chloe. She seemed carefree, her laughter easy and her conversation light. Alistair found himself drawn to her energy, perhaps because it offered him a brief respite from his own darker thoughts. They struck up a conversation, and he appreciated the distraction she provided.