Chapter 2

User is typing...

GORY

Friday is too late. I need this NOW.

HOSS

I've got my best man on it. You need to not worry.

GORY

I do worry. As long as they have those files, I'm fucked.

HOSS
You'll get your files. Trust me. Have I ever let you down?

GORY

Trust is a fickle thing. How well do you know your man, hm?

HOSS

He's solid, I swear. Biggest asshole you'll ever meet, but he gets the job done. I wouldn't trust a novice with this. I know how...particular you are.

GORY

No need to make me the villain.

HOSS

I would never. I was only-

GORY

I know, I know.

HOSS

Look, the job's in good hands. My guy is already on the move, and he'll get the files back for you before you know it.

GORY

I hope you're right, Hoss. I can't afford any delays. My back is against the wall.

HOSS

I understand the stakes. That's why I've assigned this to someone I trust completely.

GORY

What if something goes wrong? I don't want to find myself in a worse situation.

HOSS

It won't come to that. My guy knows what he's doing. He's careful, and he's done this kind of thing before.

GORY

What kind of thing are we talking about here?

HOSS

Let's just say he's handled more than his fair share of jobs like this one. He's discreet and efficient.

GORY

Fine. Just make sure it goes smoothly. I can't afford any loose ends.

HOSS

You have my word. We'll get this sorted out without any complications. Trust me.

GORY

I'll hold you to that. Keep me updated.

HOSS

You got it. I'll let you know as soon as we have the files.

...user has left the chat.

---

As soon as Alistair's flight landed in LA, he made his way to a relatively unassuming chain hotel and got a room. The modest accommodations suited his needs perfectly—a place to rest and plan without drawing unnecessary attention. He unpacked his essentials, ensuring his equipment was ready for his upcoming task, and then settled in for the night, preparing himself mentally and physically for the challenge ahead.

He had been in such a rush to get to San Diego that he hadn't yet figured out how exactly he was going to get in and steal Starling's hard drive. The hotel was a large place, and with a week-long international conference, Alistair knew there was a likely opportunity to slip in among the overhire staff the hotel would need to manage the event.