Chapter 3

With the morning conference bustling by seven thirty, Alistair skillfully weaved through the crowds, his pulse quickening as he got closer to Starling's room. His mind raced as he took care to blend in with the conference staff, performing small tasks to remain inconspicuous. Alistair found refuge in a small employee-only room near the elevators, a quiet sanctuary where he could gather his thoughts and plot his next move. No one questioned him or even gave him a second glance—everyone was too wrapped up in their own tasks for the day.

Alistair checked his watch. 7:54 a.m. His heart beat a steady rhythm of anticipation. He peered out from his hiding spot and observed that the hotel had quieted down as many attendees had moved on to the first panel discussion. He saw this as his moment to act. His every step was deliberate as he approached the elevator and selected the 7th floor. He was vigilant, ensuring no one noticed him as he made his way toward Starling's room.

Upon reaching the door, Alistair knocked softly and waited, his breath held in suspense. The silence on the other side of the door filled him with a sense of triumph. It confirmed that his target was not in the room. With a hint of satisfaction, Alistair slipped a blank hotel key against the card reader, and the door unlocked with a satisfyingly loud pop. The sound resonated in his ears, stirring a sense of exhilaration as he prepared to step inside and execute his plan.

He slipped into the hotel room quickly, closing the door behind him and securing the dead bolt with a sense of relief and heightened anticipation. His heart raced as he found himself one step closer to his goal, a mix of excitement and trepidation coursing through him.

The hotel suite exuded an air of opulence from the moment Alistair stepped inside. The spacious room was elegantly decorated, combining modern aesthetics with classic touches. Soft, plush carpets covered the floor, absorbing his footsteps with each stride. The color palette of warm earth tones and muted blues created a soothing and inviting atmosphere.

To his left, a seating area boasted a plush velvet sofa adorned with intricate throw pillows in shades of gold and teal. A sleek glass coffee table sat at the center, holding an artfully arranged vase of fresh flowers. Nearby, a well-stocked minibar offered an array of top-shelf spirits and gourmet snacks.

On the far side of the room, a set of French doors led to a private balcony. The curtains framing the doors were made of luxurious silk, cascading in gentle folds. Sunlight streamed through the glass, highlighting the breathtaking view of the city skyline or lush gardens beyond. The king-sized bed was dressed in the finest Egyptian cotton linens, invitingly crisp and pristine. A selection of fluffy pillows rested against the headboard, which was upholstered in rich, dark leather. The bed faced a state-of-the-art entertainment center with a large flat-screen television. The suite's bathroom was a masterpiece of marble and glass, featuring a spacious walk-in shower with a rainfall showerhead and a deep soaking tub. Double vanity sinks were equipped with high-end toiletries and soft, fluffy towels.

Now, this was a suite Alistair could spend some time in. He wasn't typically one for luxury or opulence, but he couldn't deny the allure of the benefits money could provide. The tastefully curated room invited relaxation and hinted at a life of ease and comfort. As he took in the surroundings, he imagined himself indulging in such luxury.

The thought lingered in his mind—once this job was done, maybe he could treat himself to a luxury suite of his own somewhere. With a cut of $50k in his pocket, he could afford to savor the finer things in life, even if only for a short while.

Now he was getting ahead of himself. He shook off his daydreams and snapped back to attention, refocusing on his task. His gaze swept across the suite, taking in every detail. Starling's meticulousness was evident in the way everything was unpacked and neatly arranged. The orderly room mirrored the habits of a man who liked control and precision.