Chapter 10

Nikki had persuaded August and Alistair to get a few hours of sleep, reminding them they needed to be at their best to face the challenges ahead and find Eli. Although exhausted, both brothers agreed, knowing rest was necessary.

In the early hours before dawn, Alistair woke up, his mind too preoccupied with the situation to fall back asleep. He made his way downstairs to the kitchen, where he prepared a pot of coffee to help clear his mind.

Once the coffee was ready, he poured himself a cup and made his way to the living room. As he entered, he noticed Nikki sitting on the couch, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. Her red, puffy eyes indicated she had been crying.

Alistair paused, unsure of how to approach the situation. He had known Nikki for only a short time, but he could tell she was trying to stay strong for August. His usual snark was absent as he spoke.

"Hey," Alistair said softly, his voice gentle. "Are you okay?"

Nikki looked up at him, startled by his presence. She quickly wiped away her tears, trying to compose herself. "Oh, Alistair," she said, her voice slightly trembling. "I didn't think anyone would be up yet."

Alistair took a seat nearby, his coffee in hand. He gave her a small, reassuring nod. "Couldn't sleep," he admitted, taking a sip of his coffee. "Too much on my mind."

Nikki offered him a faint smile, grateful for his understanding. "Me too," she said quietly. "I can't stop thinking about Eli. I'm so scared for him."

Alistair nodded, his expression reflecting the weight of her concerns. "I know," he said. "It's a lot to deal with." He took another sip of coffee, pausing before continuing. "We'll find him, Nikki. August and I are doing everything we can."

Nikki nodded, but there was still worry in her eyes. "Thank you, Alistair," she said, her voice filled with gratitude. "I know you both are trying your best."

Alistair's usual aloofness softened slightly. He understood the bond between Nikki and August, and he wanted to offer her some comfort. "We'll bring him home," he assured her, his voice steady. "You can count on that."

Nikki nodded, the edges of her lips curving slightly. "I believe you will," she said, trying to reassure herself. "You know, August is a good man, and he's been a great brother." Her eyes met Alistair's with an earnest look. "I hope you see that."

Alistair took a moment to process her words. He could hear the deep affection she held for August and knew she was right. He was learning more about August's character and starting to recognize the caring and supportive nature of his brother. It was a strange feeling to consider what could have been had they grown up together.

"I see it," Alistair finally said, nodding. "He's lucky to have you."

Nikki's expression softened, and she reached out to squeeze Alistair's arm. "And he's lucky to have you too," she said, a hint of hope in her voice. "Let's get through this together and bring Eli back home safely."

Alistair shrugged, a hint of a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "Yeah, well, let's not make it a habit, okay? I don't know if I can handle being the reliable one." His attempt at humor broke the tension in the room, providing a moment of lightness amid the heavy atmosphere.

As Alistair and Nikki sat in the living room, sharing a moment of calm amid the tension, they were interrupted by the sound of footsteps on the stairs. August appeared, his expression a curious mix of fear and excitement. His eyes were wide with anticipation as he entered the room.

Alistair raised an eyebrow at August's demeanor, finding it a little strange given the gravity of their situation. But he chose not to dwell on it, knowing that they all dealt with stress differently.