Chapter 36: Thankful for Change

November 26 – 4:26 PM

I remember the first day of the school year like it was yesterday. Levi was in high spirits because football season was starting up again. I was in high spirits because he was, the way it always seemed to work between us. I had a nice tan from a week at Will's beach house in Emerald Isle with the gang.

Three months later, my Summer glow is gone, but on the inside, the sun is shining brighter than ever. Thanksgiving break couldn't have come faster with all the midterm stress going on at school, and I'm desperate to spend some time with my family.

Well, my dad's side of the family. I rarely ever see my mom's side. They're the kind of family you love because you have to, not because you want to. It was different when grandma Yelena was still alive, but since she passed I've barely been in touch with my mom's family.

The family reunites just before lunch. My aunts and uncles greet me with hugs and kisses, drenching me in a mix of perfume and cologne that makes me feel like I can't breathe. The multitude of questions about my college options and who I'm dating drive me insane. My uncle Albert's lightly racist jokes make my eye twitch, my aunt Cara just can't resist commenting on how short my dress is. Any conversation I have with uncle Frankie turns political, because he just wants to make sure I'll vote for a Republican once I turn eighteen.

Bless my dad, because he sends me to pick up grandma from the Carolina House. Rhonda walks grandma outside in her long coat and a purple hat that her best friend Helen knitted for her. I can't stop smiling at the sight. Life is funny like that: you start off adorable, and end your life adorable. In between, I don't really know what's going on.

Back home, I'm running around constantly, both trying to be a good host and avoiding my family's interrogating questions. When the doorbell rings I want to cry at the thought that more family members might arrive, but then I remember who it is. I hadn't realized so much time had passed already.

A gush of fresh air comes my way when I open the door. I take a deep breath for what feels like the first time in hours. Jace's jacket is zipped open, giving me a peek of the baby blue sweater he's wearing. His grey trousers are rolled up at the ankles, showing a bit of skin between his pants and the white sneakers at his feet. He wiggles my phone in the air, smirking.

"Oh, thanks so much." I take it from him. I forgot it at his place last night. I had to use mom's phone to text Avery, who had to text Austin, who had to text Jace. By the time we figured it out, I'm pretty sure Jace was already on his way.

"No worries. I had to go into town to get groceries, anyway."

"You're doing last-minute grocery shopping on Thanksgiving Day? Rest in Peace." I say, to Jace's humor. "Seriously, you'll be overrun by middle aged women named Karen who will snatch the last rotisserie chicken from your bare hands with no mercy."

"Oh, I'm very familiar with this town's Karens." He says. "I'm kind of an expert at this. Besides, I won't be heading for the traditional Thanksgiving food. That might help."

He told me his family always has a big feast of Mexican, Trinidadian and Indian food on Thanksgiving, ignoring the tradition– which I love. There's no real evidence that the pilgrims and Native Americans ever shared a celebratory meal to come together. Looking at this country's history of violent colonization and oppression of Native people, it's more likely that the pilgrims stole a bunch of food from Native tribes and ate it on their own.

Laughter erupts in the living room. Multiple voices come together to speak loudly about whatever was so funny.

"Wow," Jace nods to the living room. "It's pretty crowded in there, huh?"