Chapter 35: Allow The Mud To Settle

November 23 – 5:12 PM

Avery and I take a seat high up on the bleachers. I keep my beanie on. It's starting to get so cold and dark outside. I can feel it having a similar effect on my mindset.

My eyes go to the court. The game's already started, we're a little late. Austin runs with the ball bouncing at his feet. He passes it to one of his teammates. The crowd is pretty rowdy. The basketball games at New Bern usually get a lot of spectators. It may not be as high maintenance as the football games, but in turn it's a lot more fun to watch. You can tell how much the boys adore the game, more than they care about winning.

It's my fault we're late. When Avery got to my house to pick me up, I had just gotten out of the shower– well, I got out of the shower forty-five minutes before she arrived, but I'd been sitting on my bed in a towel, just staring at the wall. So much is going on inside of me that nothing is going on. I just shut down a couple times during the day. I want to talk to Jace, but I also want to avoid him. I want to put the Rayas drama out of my head, but I also can't stop thinking about it.

"Hey, have you talked to Reeve?" I decide to ask Avery. I told her about his weird tantrum at the guys' party, but I was so in shock from the conversation with mom that I forgot to ask Avery for a follow-up on that whole thing.

She clicks her tongue. "I did. He got mad, which had the same effect on me. I just don't like labels, I don't know why it matters. He knows that I want to take it slow. He actually used our fight as an excuse for why he didn't hang out with Elias and Austin at the party. It's bullshit, he just wanted to hang with his dumb football buddies."

I'm glad Avery's at least aware that he's being manipulative. How hard is it to respect the boundaries of the girl you're dating? I know Avery's told him about her past relationships, so he knows why she wants to take it slow. Either he just wants to be able to claim Avery as his own, or he really doesn't get it.

"It just... sucks. Because I know how you get when I'm dating a guy like this." Avery eyes me. "You're super protective, and I get that. But that's why I wanted the guys to hang out with him and get to know him, too. I value their opinion, you know." Her gaze turns to the field. The New Bern Bears are in possession of the ball for the most part, until one of the Wake Forest Cougars snatches the ball away from Rahim and makes a basket. Even from here, I can see the disappointment in the guys' faces. Austin yells words of motivation to his teammates while half of the crowd cheers on the Cougars.

"No, I get it." I say. "Their friendship is important to you, of course it is. They can offer a new perspective besides my overprotective, man-hating one." I grin.

Avery sighs. "I'm sure it just takes some getting used to. Reeve's never had a real girlfriend before, he doesn't know what's expected of him– even if I explicitly tell him what I expect." She says, making me smile.

Not a second later, people break out in applause. Our team made a basket. None other than Will made the shot. Avery and I both fly out of our seats, screaming in celebration. The guys run into his arms.

When the excitement dies down, we take our seat. I try to follow the game, but Ricardo keeps popping up in my head. I keep picturing the darkness I saw in his eyes the night of Halloween. Jace and his brother must have seen it every day of their childhood.

"Paisley?"

I look at Avery. "Hm?"

She laughs, shaking her head. "Dude, what is going on with you? You've been totally spaced out since I picked you up."

I stare at my hands. "It's nothing. I'm just... tired. Two-day hangover, I guess."

I feel Avery's eyes burning holes in the side of my head. "Okay. I know you're lying, but I'm gonna give you a day to process whatever's got you like this. But after those twenty-four hours are up, you're gonna tell me what's going on, and you're gonna let me help you, you self-torturing bitch."