chapter 18 - chen gong's plan. Lu Bu's Assistance

Xiaopei (present-day Pei County, Jiangsu Province).

At this time, Lu Bu was sitting in the assassin's palace (provincial governor's palace), having just returned from the front line in Qiao County (present-day Bozhou City, Anhui Province), and he was quite surprised when he said, "Chen Gong, you said that Liu Bei sent an envoy over? "

At the bottom of Lu Bu's head, a scribe was wearing a crown and a long brown shirt, with two upturned eyebrows, looking like he was not angry, but still had a dignified temperament. This is Lu Bu's most trusted strategist, Chen Gong. Chen Gong nodded his head and said:

"Exactly, Liu Bei's envoy, Jian Yong, is waiting outside the residence."

Lu Bu wondered:

"Liu Bei recaptured Xiapi (Xuzhou City, Jiangsu Province) and sent an envoy here, is it not a declaration of war?"

Chen Gong stroked his long beard and laughed.

"No, I think, this Liu Bei is trying to beg for peace!"

"Oh?"

Lu Bu raised his eyebrows and said:

"I took Liu Bei's Xuzhou, now I have a chance, he doesn't want to attack, he even came to beg for peace, what kind of reasoning is this?"

Chen Gong shook his head and laughed:

"Lu Bu doesn't know, if Liu Bei wanted to counterattack, he would have attacked the East Sea (the Yellow Sea east of Yantai today)! However, Liu Bei went to seize Guangling (present-day Yangzhou, Jiangsu Province), which shows that he wants to attack the north! He should want to attack Yuan Shu, or go south to Jiangdong!"

"Hahahahaha..."

Lu Bu laughed at his words, "Good! Good! The harder we fight Yuan Shu, the better! If that's the case, let's announce an audience with the envoy!"

Chen Gong heard this and said:

"Lu Bu can't do it!" Lu Bu was stunned and said:

"Why not?"

Chen Gong thought for a while before saying:

"Liu Bei is a great man, although he may attack Jiangdong (mainly the southeast area of the Yangtze River), but I can't guarantee that Guan Yu and Zhang Fei won't have any dissenting thoughts! If we fight with Yuan and Cao, and he suddenly sends troops, we will be defeated!"

Lu Bu said with a frown:

"Then, do we still have to drive this Liu Bei to the end? "

"Heh heh heh...no need for that."

Chen Gong smiled, a look of wisdom in the mold said:

"In my opinion, why don't we take this opportunity to make an alliance with Liu Bei, agreeing to be each other's neighbors, and announce it to the world! Liu Bei, who claims to be a benevolent and righteous man, will not dare to renege on the alliance and attack each other after making an alliance with our army. In this way, with Liu Bei in the south, we can attack the west without worry!"

"Good! Chen Gong's plan is wonderful!"

Lu Bu's heroic face was full of smiles, then worried:

"But what if Liu Bei doesn't want to make an alliance? "

Chen Gong said:

"I think if Liu Bei wants to attack Jiangdong or Yuan Shu, he will be short of food and grass! We might as well take the alliance and use the grain and food as a lure, and it will surely work out!"