Chapter 4: Recognizing Ambushes & Gaining Trust

On the path outside Guangling City, Yuan Shu's general Ji Ling personally led thousands of elite soldiers to hide in the woods. The vice general next to him asked uneasily, "General Ji, are you sure Liu Bei will really come from this road? "

Ji Ling, those who know him well know that this man was the first general under Yuan Shu's command, quite capable of force and strategy. After Yuan Shu became the emperor, he even became the general under Yuan Shu. Ji Ling smiled and said:

"That Liu Bei was attacked by Lu Bu and cut off the north road, and the Lord is sitting in the west of Ru Nan, so naturally he can only go east or south! In the past few days, he collected the defeated army, there are more than 10,000 people. Yesterday, scouts reported that a large number of troops are coming, so it must be Liu Bei's army! Since he didn't come yesterday, he will come today. He thought that our army is small and unprepared, and did not dare to ambush, just by those big and thick reckless men, certainly did not expect our army is already waiting here!

The vice general heard this, busy compliments: "Ji generals brilliant calculation, subordinate admire!"

"Heh heh heh..." Hearing the compliments from his men, Ji Ling had a smile on his face. Even if Liu Bei is here, what can he do? Today, he will suffer a big loss in his hands!

At this moment, he suddenly heard a tiger's laughter: "Hahahaha..." Hearing this sound, Ji Ling hurriedly said: "All troops on guard, Liu Bei's army is coming!"

-------

On top of the mountain road, Zhang Fei asked his scout, "How far do you think this place is from Guangling?"

When the scout heard this, he said, "General, this place is less than 10 miles away from Guangling."

When Zhang Fei heard this, he said, "Along the road, is there any abnormality?"

The scout shook his head and said, "Along the road, there is no abnormality."

"Oh? Ha ha ha ha ha ...." When Zhang Fei heard this, he burst out laughing. "Second brother is right, that person is really a traitor. If there really is an ambush, how come there is no sign of it until now? It's only a ten-mile journey, where else would there be an ambush!"

He laughed while his heart was bursting with joy. After he went back, he would definitely give that person a few lashes! And then launched to cut off the head! However, he did not know, he was laughing here, above the mountain road Yuan Shu army has been surprised.

The vice general immediately changed his face and said: "General Ji, the enemy seems to know that we came to ambush! What can we do?"

Ji Ling listened, his face changed dramatically. Liu Bei's army should not have realized it! But the other side actually expected it! At that moment, he busily got up and said, "Release the arrows!"

Amidst an explosive shout, thousands of troops above the mountain path stood up. Shoo shoo shoo! Immediately after, a sound of breaking air, bow and arrows poured towards Zhang Fei's front army like raindrops.

"What?" Zhang Fei was just in the midst of his complacency when he suddenly heard this sound of arrows, and was shocked and appalled. Afterward, he saw arrows shooting out from the jungle, and was even more horrified.

"No good, there is an ambush! Retreat! Retreat!" His voice instantly covered the entire battlefield. However, at this time, the whole army was already in chaos, the soldiers were hiding everywhere, and only a few of them listened to his orders. Zhang Fei shouted, "Retreat! Retreat!"

Ji Ling was in the middle of the woods, seeing Liu Bei's army was already in chaos, he shouted, "Release the rockets (ordinary arrows have oil on them, when they are lit, they are rockets, meaning wooden arrows with fire)!"

As soon as he spoke, Yuan Shu's army had already replaced the rockets. At this time of the year, it is the hot summer, with fire arrows out, the ground will be lit up a blazing fire. In the midst of the smoke and fire, Liu Bei's front army was in chaos. Zhang Fei in the smoke looked at the chaos of the army scattered, only to feel the bowels of the green with remorse. I didn't realize that Yuan Shu's army really had an ambush! How could that kid be so right! If he had listened to Liu Xian's words earlier, he would have done more than that! But now, even if he regrets, it's useless. He could only lead the defeated troops to retreat.

After a lot of shooting, coupled with smoke and fire, Liu Bei's front army was killed or wounded by more than a thousand people, some of them fled into the mountain road, and only more than a thousand escaped back. In the dense forest, the vice general, seeing this great victory, busily said, "General Ji, order a pursuit!"

Ji Ling looked at Zhang Fei's distant back, shook his head and said: "It's just, this is not the main force of Liu Bei's army, we will go back to Guangling and then make plans."

In less than two miles after the ambush, Liu Bei and Guan Yu are leading the army forward. Behind Jian Yong and Liu Xian laughed: "Brother Yicai ah, now from that Guangling city is only more than ten miles, you see the enemy will still have an ambush?"

Liu Xian in the car, shading the sun, eyes closed to rest. When he heard the words of Jian Yong, he was about to reply when he saw dust flying in front of him. He looked up and saw Zhang Fei in front of him, who was already leading the army back with a gray head.

"Big brother, Liu Bei ah! I can't apologize to you! I was ambushed by the enemy and lost more than half of the front army!"

Seeing Zhang Fei in such a state, Liu Bei and Guan Yu glanced at each other and could see each other's surprised faces! There was really an ambush in front of them! Jian Yong was also confused at this time. A second ago he wanted to taunt Liu Xian, but now he was slapped hard by reality! Who would have thought that the enemy would be ambushed so close to the city? Liu Bei and Guan Yu rush forward to support Zhang Fei and ask for details. When they realized that the enemy army had prepared rockets, the two of them were scared again. If they hadn't been divided into the front and rear armies, I'm afraid they would have lost more than a thousand men in this battle!.

Seeing Zhang Fei's wretched appearance, Liu Bei said in relief, "Zhang Fei, victory and defeat are commonplace in the military! This time, if it wasn't for Mr. Liu Xian, none of us would have thought that the enemy army would have ambushed us here!"

Just as he finished speaking, Zhang Fei raised his head and said, "Yes extremely!" After saying that, he bowed to Liu Xian and said, "Sir is truly a man of God! I didn't know about sir's wisdom before and offended you! Please don't be offended!"

At this time, Liu Xian had already rolled out of the car, and seeing Zhang Fei like this, he couldn't help but secretly realize that Zhang Fei was also a straightforward person. History says that Zhang Fei admires intelligent people, and it is not without reason. However, Zhang Fei salute, he is not good to accept, busy return salute said.

"Third general need not be so, I came to the first time, generals do not believe me, is also human nature."

Two people in this side of the return salute, Jane Yong is worried: "Lord, my army in an ambush, morale and then fell, that the city of Guangling has a defense, I'm afraid it's not good to fight ah!"

Listening to Jian Yong said, Liu Bei also thought deeply nodded. "But, do not go to Guangling, and where to go?" He said, subconsciously looked at Liu Xian. When he looked at him, along with Jian Yong Guan Yu, he also looked at Liu Xian. Liu Xian saw this, is a stunned. What is this, all look at me for? How do I know?