chapter 24

it's been maybe a month since y/n has passed away, and i've come to the realization that it never gets easier. i adjust my tie in the mirror before i turn around and catch my eyes on kiyoung, who teethes on her toy in her car seat. she has on a tiny, black dress with ruffles and a cute, black, hair band with a big bow on the front.

i can't help but admire her, every time i look at her my heart explodes with love. she was my everything.

"kiyoung, are you ready to go see mommy?" i bend down and gently grab her tiny hands before resting them on my cheeks. i smile down at her before placing a small kiss on her button nose.

i knew today wouldn't be easy. planning this funeral and sending out invites all felt so surreal. i shouldn't be doing this for her so early in our life. i had finally gotten her back, just for her to be gone again. but it hurts much more this time around, because i know she's never coming back.

i set kiyoung's car seat down at my feet as i stand over her body. her cold, placid, and serene body.

the bright glow of her skin was gone, the vibrancy of her hair lacked, her soft lips were flat, and all i wanted was to see that beautiful smile of her's one more time.

i grab her hand and feel myself slightly shudder at the immense frigidity of it. i rub my thumb over the top of her palm and slowly bend down to place a gentle kiss on her forehead, allowing my lips to linger for a few seconds longer.

"taehyung." my head rises before i slowly stand up. what was she doing here?

i turn around and glare back at her emotionless face. "rey, what are you doing here?" she takes small steps towards me before she stops a few feet away. this is probably the furthest we've ever been from each other while in the same room.

"if you think her dying is opening the doors for you to walk right back in, forget it. i love her, i want nothing to do with you." i clench my jaw as she chuckles half heartedly and nods her head.

"i figured that out a while ago, taehyung. i'm not here to try and get you back." she's oddly calm. she's maintaining her distance from me and she's talking in a soft, respectful manner.

"then what are you here for?"

"to say sorry. i wish i could say it to her as well. when i found out she was sick i just..." she trails off and looks towards the ground. she had began to make me believe that she genuinely felt an ounce of sorrow for what she'd done.

"i'm not that type of girl," she continues and looks up at me with glossy eyes, "i just really liked you tae bear. i was willing to do anything, hurt anyone, for you. when i saw how much you loved her and not me i... i lost it."

i stay silent and dig a hand into the pocket of my slacks. i had no words for her. "you don't have to accept my apology, but i swear after this you will never see me again. i'm moving to somewhere far away and, i just wanted to see your face one last time."

i nod, "i think that's what's for the best, rey. for the both of us." she grins gravely and raises her hand before she sends a small wave subsequently, "goodbye taehyung."

she takes a few steps backwards before turning around and leaving the room. i look down at kiyoung whose eyes are shut and her chest lightly rises then falls. i run another hand down my face and glance at the clock, counting down the minutes before people began to arrive.

•••

jane takes a stand at the podium next and clears her throat quietly. "good morning, and thank you all for showing up for my sister. i knew she was lying when she said eun and i were her only friends." the guests laugh softly as a small smile spreads across my lips.