chapter 23

psa: starting now, this story will be told from taehyung's perspective.

•••

i'm awoken by a sudden, monotonic, buzz that causes my eyes to flutter. the room is dark but the light that pours from the moon illuminates y/n's figure on the bed. that annoying sound continues to ring throughout the entire room as i slowly sit up and rub at my eyes.

"y/n?" i quietly call out as i stand to my feet. what the hell is that sound? and why the hell won't it stop?

i look down at y/n who's formidably still. i pause then my eyes raise to look at her monitor.

flatline.

my eyes widen in horror as i slam my hand against the call button a variety of times in a frenzy. i stand over her and place two hands over her chest before i begin to attempt cpr. "no, no, no no no y/n come on!" i wail and fall down onto her lips. i blow a big breath of air into her mouth, but it's to no avail.

i keep going as the door is swung open and my sniveling figure still hovers over her motionless and lifeless one. my hands press down aggressively as my tears fall relentlessly. she can't be gone already, it's still too early.

"son you have to move-" one of the nurses grabs my arm but i snatch away. "get off me!" kiyoung begins to bawl in the background as the male nurses then attempt to pull me off.

they grab my shoulders and pull me back, but i break from their hold and lunge back towards her limp body. i grab her face and blow into her mouth again, "y/n please, please come back!" i rest my hands on her face and stare into her hollow eyes; they're not staring back into mine with admiration, but instead they're glued onto the wall ahead of us. they are lifeless and dim.

finally three of the men grab my shoulders and my legs before they lift me up and carry me out of the room.

•••

i sigh as i enter the house and hang my keys on the key holder. i gently set kiyoung's car seat down on the floor before i enter the kitchen and mop the floor where her water had broken the first time.

i then drag my feet to the half-painted room her and i had begun to work on that very day for kiyoung. the strokes come to an abrupt end, and i remember that that's when she called for me in the kitchen because of her final contractions here. i press my lips together and hold back the tears that so evidently want to make their appearance.

there's a knock on my door and i look over my shoulder with vague eyes.

"jane sent me. said you might be in the need of some company." i nod and cross my arms as i stand across from beom who's seated on the couch. "thanks but i'm okay. i have my baby." i grin sincerely and peer down at her.

"taehyung, i am immensely sorry for your loss. she was a beautiful and bright woman." i stare down at the ground below my feet as a shallow breath falls from my lips, "can i get you something to drink?"

"water is fine." i walk into the kitchen and pause as my eyes catch hold of the paint brush that still lingered on the countertop by the sink, right where i'd left it. i snag a water bottle and return back to the living room. i toss him the water bottle, "i just... i don't know how i'm gonna do it without her." i admit with the shake of my head and a dim chuckle.