chapter 3

the sun shines brightly through my translucent curtains. i sit up slowly, and look down at myself. my clothes from last night were still on. and that's when i slowly look up, heart dropping at the many clothes spewed out on my floor, and the multiple drawers pulled out.

i throw my legs to the side of the bed and stand to my feet, landing on a pair of denim shorts. on my nightstand is a wine glass which has been knocked over, but thankfully only a small remnant of wine was left over.

i hear hannie groan from my bed as i scratch my head. "hannie... what did mama do last night?"

there's a knock on my door, making my feet finally push into gear. i run around my room gathering the clothes in big groups and dumping them into any empty drawer available, any consideration left for organizing disappeared the minute a person appeared outside my door.

they beat on it again as i stammer around the many, many piles. "c-coming!" i yell and struggle to gather the last batch of clothes. "y/n it's me eliza! i just wanted to check on you!" i pause and drop them onto the floor.

eliza is my publisher slash spell-checker. i haven't even considered that my disappearance and lack of emails to reassure my team would only lead them to my front door.

she's still going on about how she just wanted to make sure i was fine as i peel the door open. she stops mid sentence and beams at me, adjusting the square frames on her face.

"oh goodness you're not dead!" i grin and move to the side as she laughs gently. "not yet. come on in."

she sits herself down on the couch as i walk over to my kitchen. "can i get you anything to drink? coffee, lemonade, water?" she sighs and tilts her head.

"let's cut to the chase y/n. where have you been?" i chuckle lightly and reach in my fridge. "water it is."

"i'm sorry to come off harsh but... we're worried about you y/n. everyone is. i mean you haven't published anything lately, not even a statement." i sat the small bottle of water down on the glass coffee table and took a seat on the small rocking chair next to her.

"i guess i should just ask. are you okay?" her question makes me zone out momentarily. i am okay, at least sometimes. i'm not on my last leg — or maybe i should say i don't feel like it yet. my doctor tells me time is only running out, yet i feel as though i still have the rest of my life ahead of me.

i swallow the lie sitting on my tongue, and muster up something better. not exactly the truth, but at least a little more truthful than "yes, i am okay."

"i could definitely be better. i caught a little sickness that cleared up but i definitely kept the lack of energy that came with it. the workload just keeps piling up and i don't know what more to do. i don't know how to get started again." i look down at my lap as there's a short silence.

it felt good to some what get it off of my chest as to let someone know what i was feeling. i could tell eliza wasn't expecting such a detailed response as she twists open the cap of her water bottle and takes a small sip.

"y/n i... i really wish i could help. is there anything, even a page of a new project?" i look up at her and softly shake my head. she gently slumps and frowns at me. it's so hard to not just spew out the truth. to let her know i'm fighting a deadly virus that's gonna beat me. but i can't.

i stare at her compassionate face helplessly. i believe she expected to find something i could profit off of, but when i sat there and had to admit it... there really was nothing.

"i am sorry, y/n. maybe it's best you set up a meeting with mr. yarrow." mr. yarrow is the boss man i publish under. i'd maybe have 20 untouched emails from him. i feel as though i'd practically piss myself if i even tried to face him again.

but i knew eliza was right.

she stood to her feet and dumped the tiny water bottle into her bag. "thanks for stopping by liz." i walk behind her as she heads towards the door.

"of course. gotta make sure my favorite writer is okay. you have my number, please just call whenever." we embrace in a small hug before she ventures down the complex's hallway.

just then the door across swings open and a dark haired girl is leaving the room. taehyung is close behind her pulling a shirt over his head and onto his chiseled torso.

my heart aches as i watch her spin around and plant a small kiss on his cheek. i gulp lightly as i can't help but watch as he whispers something in her ear. she pulls away and slaps at his chest, giggling whilst doing so. "tae bear you're so dirty!"

tae bear? ew.

i hear hannie's little paws patter next to me and her tiny bark rings loudly. both of their eyes shoot over as i look down at her. her fluffy tail is wagging as she looks up at me with her leash dangling from her mouth. i chuckle nervously and send a quick glance at the both of them as i bend down and remove the leash from her mouth.

please tell me i was not just caught eaves dropping.

"aww it's so adorable! what's its name?" taehyung- or should i say tae bear's fuck buddy coos at hannie and bends down to pet her while i hook on her leash.

"oh uh thank you, her name is hannie." i make sure to emphasize the gender of my dog. "it" was just so not cool. "well i'm sorry hannie. you're such a cut- ow!"

she stands to her feet and holds her finger. i watch in terror as blood slowly trickles down. "the little shit bit me!"

"i'm so sorry let me get some disinfectant wipes and a bandaid!" i apologize and drop hannie's leash running inside.

i return and see taehyung and her both staring down at her finger. i peel open the small pack and put the tiny square on her cut, trying to wipe away the blood. "i am so sorry she usually doesn't do that." i stuff the wipe into the packet and hand her a bandaid. she tears it open and stares blankly at me.

"hello kitty? seriously?" she scoffs and wraps it around her finger.

"next time your little rat bites me, i'll request to have it put down." i laugh, but it's more of a paradoxical laughter. she walks away as i slowly wrap hannie's leash around my wrist. "what a bitch."

i whisper and shake my head. "yeah she kinda is." i look over at taehyung who's body is leaned against his door frame.

"that's not something nice to say about someone you slept with." i close the door to my condo and begin walking down the hall. to my surprise, he follows after.

"that's all she really is to me. a sleep buddy." i scoff and step out into the dark and cold autumn night. the breeze brushes my face immediately, sweeping back my hair and jacket. i make sure to grip hannie's leash tightly so she wouldn't blow away with the wind. "i bet your sleepovers are always eventful." i glance up at him as he walks alongside the little fluff ball and i.

"i was thinking about ending things soon. i mean she's cool and all but she's not really what i want." i nod my head and stop as hannie begins to sniff the ground.

"how did you guys even meet so fast? i mean didn't you just move out here?" i question without sounding too judgmental. "i've always been here in the city. we've been talking since i've moved down here." i pause and furrow my eyebrows at him.

"how... how long have you been here taehyung?" he sighed and dug his hands deep into his pockets. "if i tell you just promise you won't think i'm a stalker and run away again."

"no promises." i stare up at him, silently waiting for him to continue. "i... i followed you here y/n."

end.