Chapter 45: A New Threat?

(A/n: // means no ones POV)

Kyle

Kyle is more worried about Stan's plight rather than his own and everyone else's, not because he's by himself and that a monster is heading his way, but because he's in the dark with nobody next to him. The red barrier's glow is dim. Kyle can't see him thanks to the size and density of the barrier, but he definitely knows that fear has eclipsed his thoughts. He won't be able to defend himself at all in that state, and so Chris just might take over. No, not might, he will take over. Kyle knows about the numerous times the two of them did 'Power Link' back home, although he thinks the reason couldn't have been just for training purposes, given how dangerous the ability is. When Clyde mentioned Stan had regained consciousness so soon that day in Mrs. Marsh's bedroom, Kyle figured it was due to them doing 'Power Link' a lot. It's a good thing he didn't mention it. Perhaps it was a really risky strategy Chris thought up, though it's surprising that Stan went along with it. Kyle just hopes Stan's mind isn't too far gone, that way he can willingly allow Chris to take over. The last thing anyone wants is for someone to undergo 'Forced Power Link'.

"Why do I get the feeling we're screwed?" Kyle hears Bebe nervously ask.

The five monsters are closer to them now, and one of them chuckles. "Because you are!"

Yuna protects them in a barrier the exact moment the monsters lunge in to attack. Their combined strikes break it instantaneously. "Ugh," she grunts, briefly weakened once again.

"Remember, do not kill Kyle Broflovski," says the monster that was the first to be comprised of many other monsters. "And do not harm him too badly either."

Kyle hates that the thing thinks that they will be able to take him away. It is not going to happen. He suddenly hears something, then barely makes out multiple thick vines wrapping themselves around the monsters. They growl and wriggle within the confines. Kyle and his friends take this opportunity to attack with magical orbs. Yuna does the same a second later. However, the projectiles deal no damage, instead they anger the monsters even more.

"My vines can't contain them for much longer," Raven says, voice straining from the effort.

"Basic spells are ineffective," Yuna says. "We're going to need to-"

The vines snap one by one in quick succession. Letting out a joyous roar of laughter, the monsters resume their assault.

"Woah!" Clyde shouts as he and the others manage to dodge the two-headed monster's big hand, but its companions do not give them a moment to counter. Each monster sets their sights on different preys: the muscular one with two heads continues to swipe its hands only at Bebe and Clyde. "Let's split up, so we don't end up getting one of us hit," Clyde says as they elude the attacks.

Bebe nods. "Okay." She and Clyde dodge when a hand slams against the ground in between them, making it the perfect opportunity for them to keep their distance from each other.

"Tch, how irksome," the two-headed monster mutters, its voice deep. It doesn't know which one to go after.

"We will take care of the boy," says a distorted and high-pitched voice. The weird moth-looking creature swiftly appears behind Clyde as if it teleported. A grey barrier shields him from the creature's clawed attack. Clyde breathes out a sigh of relief.

"Tch, pesky Inner Guardian," it curses.

The monstrous canine snaps its fangs at Yuna, who dodges each time, clearly eager to eat her alive. The headless creature attacks Leopold and Raven with just its arms, following them whenever they move to evade. The circular monster extends its legs one after the other at Kyle. Instead of dodging, he casts a barrier around himself. The pointy tips of the legs leave multiple small cracks in it.