Chapter 2: Mysterious Changes

Kyle

As soon as Kyle is seen walking down the stairs of the Marsh's household that same evening, he's immediately bombarded with questions from his mother.

"Why didn't you call me or at least tell me this mornin' you were comin' ova here?" Is her first query, her tone and face so serious that Kyle is unable to look her in the eyes. He stops on the bottom step. He opens his mouth to answer her, but his mother continues speaking. "Why would you come ova here anyway? You know that Stan is still sick. Do you wanna catch his cold?"

"Sheila," Mrs. Marsh softly utters. "Please calm down, and let Kyle have a chance to explain himself." Even though the Broflovski's have been in South Park for a little over two years now, seeing Sheila behave this way is understandable, but also a bit unnecessary. At least, that's what Sharon thinks. If Stan had done something similar, she would've thrown a fit too, but not go this overboard.

Raising a hand to massage her forehead, Sheila sighs heavily. "Sorry, I got a bit too carried away," she admits, although she feels no guilt. She lowers her hand giving her ashamed son a light glare. "But I was so worried about you. You didn't return home this afternoon from school."

Kyle tightens his lips into a line, he didn't mean to worry his mother to this extent. He was simply supposed to come here and check to see how Stan was feeling, then leave afterwards. "I'm really sorry, mom. I only came here to see how Stan was doing, but I...suddenly fell asleep..." Kyle ends up murmuring, his near glossy eyes focusing intently on the wooden floor beneath the step he's on. He feels mortified that his excuse was that he slept unintended.

His mother is silent for a moment, her face now blank of any emotion. "Here's your book bag full of clothes. Be sure to come straight home tomorrow after school." She hands Kyle the black bag, then leaves.

Kyle grips the book bag tightly, his face scrunching up into a pained frown. His mother is really disappointed in him, he should've expected that she wouldn't give him a sweet kiss on his cheek or forehead, or give him a hug before departing. Acknowledging the consequences of his actions makes him feel increasingly bitter. However, her emotionless tone of voice before she left is something he's heard more than once before.

Mrs. Marsh looks to the crestfallen redhead with a frown of her own. "Kyle-"

The boy shakes his head, already aware of what Mrs. Marsh wants to say to him. "I-it's okay. This isn't the first time she's acted like this." Kyle quickly retreats upstairs to Stan's room, his lime-green eyes leaking tears.

Sharon shakes her head with a small sigh. That was a rather heartbreaking scene between a parent and their child. "I'd best not stick my nose into another family's affairs...unless it gets out of hand. Hopefully, they'll talk it out tomorrow. I'll leave Kyle a note before I leave for work." She walks into the living room, scanning around in search for a pen and paper.

Once Kyle is in front of Stan's partly opened bedroom door, he doesn't go inside the room. His shoulders are shaking, and he's trying not to let his sobs be heard. He really hates when his mother changes into a different person, it's very scary and Kyle is always the one who triggers it somehow. No matter what he says or does. But he'll never forget the first time his mother's personality changed...no, rather she appeared as if she was possessed. Her eyes were empty and dull, clear signs indicating that she wasn't in control of her own body.

*Flashback*

May 15th

Kyle was 5 years old at the time, a Kindergartner in Park Tree Elementary.

Him, Stan, Kenny, and Eric along with the rest of their classmates were working with Play-doh. Their teacher, Mrs. Wayford, held a contest to see who could make something interesting out of their Play-doh. She had short, blonde hair and blue eyes. The children could either work as a pair, a group that didn't exceed five members, or by themselves. They must use ALL of their Play-doh without the need of tools to win, it was a test to see who was more creative. Mrs. Wayford gave them ten minutes, whoever won would get both a special prize on Friday, and extra credit on their next activity.