Chapter 9: Best Friends No Matter What

Bebe

Bebe was at a loss for words.

This was the very first time Wendy didn't sit with her on the school bus. They always sat together even if the other was in a bad mood, they were best friends after all. If either one of them was down, then the other would do their best to cheer her up. When Bebe saw Wendy board the bus - the frown still present on her face ever since her return from the nurses office this morning - she walked past their shared seat. Bebe's confused eyes followed the girl. "Wendy?" She questioned, but she was ignored. She slid to the end of her seat to watch Wendy saunter to the last seat in the back, removing her book bag and sitting on it close to the window. She refused to meet Bebe's gaze of bewilderment, her orchid-colored eyes gazing blankly out of the window.

With a pained frown, Bebe turned around. She then looked to her right, seeing Heidi sitting by herself. Bebe grabbed her hot pink book bag. "Um, Heidi? Can I sit with you?" She asked, a bit shy. She didn't know when the last time she sat with someone other than Wendy on the bus was, but she did know that she hated sitting alone. The girl with light brown hair and jade green eyes looked surprised for a moment, but scooted over to the window, allowing Bebe to come sit next to her. "Thanks," Bebe said with a small smile. She got up and ambled over.

"You're welcome, but how come Wendy isn't sitting with you?" Heidi asked, finding it odd that they weren't sitting together this time even though they did this morning.

Bebe felt her frown returning at the question. She placed her book bag on her lap, and rested her chin on top of it. "I don't know. She won't tell me what's bothering her," she sighed.

"Oh, okay..." Heidi murmured, not pushing the issue.

A slightly awkward silence settled over them, but Bebe didn't care. She preferred it this way, so she could think about her best friend's elusive behavior. She tuned out the other children's chatter as she thought. Bebe knew something was troubling Wendy, but she didn't know the exact cause. The only thing she knew was that something must've happened when she took Stan to the infirmary this morning.

Bebe lifted her head from off her book bag and looked towards the back of the bus, Wendy was still staring out the window.

*Flashback*

It was difficult for Bebe to pay attention to Mr. Garrison trying to teach the class; the man was still unnerved from whatever happened between him and Stan, so she wasn't the only one that was distracted. However, the reason for her lack of concentration was different from her teacher's. She wasn't worried about anything per say, rather she was feeling antsy. Her eyes would travel to the door from time to time. It had already been ten minutes since Wendy left to take Stan to the infirmary, and she hadn't come back. Bebe couldn't help but wonder what was taking her so long to return.

Bebe placed her elbow on the table, then rested her cheek against her palm, drowning out her teacher's failing attempt at teaching. After awhile, she stifled a yawn. She wished Wendy would hurry back already. She glanced around the classroom, her, Leopold, and six other kids were the only ones that didn't have their heads down. Seemed she wasn't the only one feeling bored. Turning around, her eyes met lavender-colored ones diagonally across from her until Clyde buried his face into his folded arms, a late attempt to hide the blush Bebe caught coloring his cheeks. "Clyde is so weird sometimes," she thought amusedly.

When five minutes gradually ticked by, the classroom door creaked open. Bebe opened her weary eyes, having took a short nap. She's relieved to see Wendy walking in, however her elation changed to concern the instant she noticed the perturbed expression on Wendy's face. She closed the door behind her and walked to her seat. When she sat down, Bebe looked over at her. She had a distant look in her eyes, as if she was trying to figure out the cause of her own distress. Bebe wanted to respect her silent wish to be left in her thoughts, but she also wanted to find out why Wendy was troubled. They were best friends, and Bebe felt it was her duty to allay her of her worries in any way she could. "Wendy?" She whispered. Wendy didn't answer, instead she only moved her eyes to look at Bebe. "What's wrong?" Bebe watched the frown on Wendy's face deepen, and she looked down at the table. When she still didn't answer, Bebe softly uttered, "Please tell me, maybe I can help you."