Chapter 42: A Solution To A Flaw

Craig and Stripe

The ascent to the tower's rooftop has been nerve-racking. But only to Craig. He's not making it visibly known, though, since Cloud's Inner Aura is acting as a very bright flashlight, who's in the back by himself. He doesn't want to worry his friends, Clyde especially, who's right next to him. The stairway is wide enough for people to walk up them in pairs, Ingrum and Henrietta are leading the way. Everyone has their raincoats on, either with their hood up or down. The irregular sounds of their footsteps combined with the pounding rain prevented the rise of a dense silence. No one has been inclined to start another conversation. Before they went up the stairs, at that time they had to wait for Henrietta, Bebe asked why they couldn't teleport to the roof. Ingrum answered they wouldn't need to walk for long because a lift will take them the rest of the way up.

Craig is starting to doubt that. He doesn't know how long it's been exactly since they began walking up the stairs, but it definitely feels like it's nearly been an hour. He's probably exaggerating the duration since nobody appears tired, plus the thoughts as to how he's going to demonstrate his inability to use Purification has been weighing on his mind. He doesn't get how it's going to be possible to do. Unfortunately for him, his Inner Guardian still can't offer him any tips to ease his predicament. When they discovered Craig couldn't initiate Purification, it took Stripe by immense surprise and abolished any subsequent training lessons he had in store for Craig in case he needed to practice the semi-advanced spell. It was the day Kyle asked Craig to Purify Ike five years ago. Craig wasn't sure if he could do it, but he decided to give it a try anyway. His attempt ended in failure as expected, and no advice Stripe later provided made any difference.

The climb up the stairs continues until finally, Ingrum and Henrietta stop. They turn to look at something on the left side wall. Craig and the rest come to a halt and see that Ingrum and Henrietta are looking at an outline of a door engraved into the wall. Craig knows straight away that it's the lift Ingrum mentioned before. Ingrum puts a palm on the apparent door, transferring a little bit of his magical energy into it. The door slides open in a downward motion. Ingrum turns around, his forest green eyes scanning the group for a few moments. "Hmm," he hums in a thoughtful manner. He looks back at the lift, then at the group again. "I think the lift is big enough to fit seven people each. The five of us with Light magic will get on first, naturally, and two more can join us. The remaining half will go up after." With that being said, he and Henrietta walk into the lift, which is made of wood based on the dull groan produced by their footsteps.

Craig, Wendy, and Cloud make their way inside the platform, Cloud's Inner Aura highlighting every aspect within. If not for the light, it would've looked like they're entering the void instead. Craig doesn't see anything that will take them up, he expected there to be a control panel on one side of the doorway. He guesses magical energy will activate it as well. He hears a bit of murmuring out on the stairs for several seconds. Seems his friends are deciding on who the next two will accompany them to the roof. After a brief silence, Bebe and Clyde walk in. The others inch forward to stand in front of the lift's entrance.

"Hoods up," Henrietta says.

As those that didn't have their hood over their head do as told, the lift starts moving upwards. The ligneous platform is making soft humming noises as it transports them to their destination in steady motion.

"So where does the other staircase lead up to?" Craig knew at some point Bebe would've had something to inquire about. She isn't the only one still curious about the tower, but since they won't be here long, Craig thinks there's no point acquiring any more information about this place.

"That's none of your business," Henrietta responds rudely. "The Research and Production Lab is the only and last thing you're gonna know about."

"But we're allies now and you know we're not bad people," Bebe argues. "Why can't we know more about the tower?"