Chapter 26: Dire Straits

(A/n: Trigger Warning: this chapter contains suicidal thoughts in the later half)

Stan and Chris

Stan is making his way to the backyard after pointless attempts at knocking on the front door. Not only could he not hear anything from inside the bungalow, but it seemed Kenny couldn't hear outside of it either.

Before heading to the back, Stan pondered what Kenny was about to tell him before he fell silent.

Try...

Try...

Trrryyy...-

A light bulb shines over Stan's head. Kenny was going to tell him to try and throw a projectile at the door...or something along those lines. Stan was about to do just that, but quickly opted not to. He didn't want to hit Kenny by accident. So, he checked the window. Peering through the cracked and frosted glass, he was able to make out Kenny's figure as well as a child's, but that child's body got engulfed in a black mist. Stan banged on the glass to get Kenny's attention—to remind him to flee instead of engage the enemy—however his view of the inside got obscured in darkness.

"The Being Of Darkness Casted A Nullification Barrier Over The House," Chris said. "Surely, You Know What It Does From Its Name Alone."

Stan glared at the window. "Yeah, I have an idea as to what it does." Chris was just too lazy to explain in full detail. A Nullification Barrier was slightly different from a normal barrier, it's an advanced spell that also negated any attacks from both inside and outside, however the object that it's protecting could not be harmed. The barrier's durability depended on the caster's magical strength. Therefore, Stan's strength alone most likely could not damage the bungalow. "So Kenny won't be able to teleport out, fucking great."

"It Wouldn't Have Been Possible The Second He Entered The House."

Stan wasn't going to leave Kenny here by himself, thus he went to the back of the house to find an entrance or create one if need be.

"Best Watch Your Step."

"Oh, so now you're worried about me?" Stan already knows to be mindful of all the junk on the ground anyway.

"There's More Than One Enemy There, So I Would Naturally Be Worried About You."

Stan stops, his eyes widening slightly. "What?"

The once well-concealed entity decides to make its presence known. Majority of the darkness in the snow floats into the air in front of Stan, bundling together to create a big solid sphere. He sees small bubbles rapidly forming in the middle of it, gurgling like water.

Thinking something is about to emerge out of it, Stan wordlessly summons his weapon in one hand—a sheathed katana. Its saya is a dark blue color, the tsuba of the katana is round and gold, and the handle is blue and black.

Slowly, the big spherule creature begins to split apart where the bubbles are at, revealing a large mouth full of sharp pearly whites.

"Wha-what the hell is that?! Is it a Being of Darkness?" The circular blob chuckles at Stan's scared mien, which then alters into a scowl.

"Finally," it says in a guttural voice, its smile broadening expectantly. "Finally, finally, finally."

Stan gets into a stance—his posture hunching slightly as he bends his left leg and slides his foot back, bending his right leg in the process. He holds his saya close to his hip with one hand on the handle of his katana in preparation to draw it out.