Chapter 41: An Unexpected Bond

*Twelve Years Ago, In The Realm Of Darkness*

Time flew by seemingly without motion as Eric waited for his Inner Guardian to return. He was feeling bored, nervous, and impatient all at the same time. It felt like it's been a really long while because his clothes felt dry now, but not his hair. It's still a little wet. There was nothing to do in this beautiful, boundless realm, his mother...didn't want to talk to him. She seemed sullenly content inside of the boy's red barrier, as if at ease that it was shunning his existence from her, which filled her with great guilt deep down. So all Eric could do was look around the ethereal environment and let his mind drift. He still marveled the big full moon behind the large grey castle, the hundreds of stars scattered throughout the black and dark blue sky, and the black star-shaped sculptures atop of some of the dark purple stone pillars. He noticed that either a red, blue, green, or purple dot of light would flicker one after the other every few seconds and circle around the stars. He was still curious about the house that's surrounded in a dark barrier on the other side of the pillars, wondering who the two boys were. Could they be people he knew from school? For some odd reason, he didn't doubt it, but he knew for sure they weren't Stan, Kyle, or Kenny. He smacked his teeth after remembering those three, irritated that he couldn't kill Kyle because Mrs. Marsh and Kenny got in his way. It was to be expected and had Stan's Inner Guardian not been in control, Stan would've tried to stop Eric too, since they're 'super best friends'.

Eric shook his head with a scoff, suppressing a laugh at the stupid title. "They're just a bunch of losers." He pressed his lips together into a faint frown, his eyebrows furrowing. He usually meant that in jest, but not this time. Today's altercation surely severed the feeble string that struggled to maintain the friendship he had with Stan, Kyle, and Kenny. Now, they were enemies, Eric was certain of it. He imagined Kenny telling Stan and Kyle about his traitorous stunts. He couldn't help but smile a little, his red eyes glinting with nefarious intent, giving him a look unbefitting for a 6 year old. They most likely deemed him a traitor now, which suited him well. If he ever were to come across his ex-best friends again one day, killing them won't leave behind a regretful after-feeling. Though taking their lives would have to come last because Mrs. Marsh would be there to protect them, and that would be a huge problem. Had she not been weakened by the Being of Darkness, Eric wouldn't have stood a chance against her. But it was a really good thing she was disinclined to retaliate, she only wanted to impede his path, so he took advantage of that thanks to Zerphy's quick thinking.

"Eric?"

The boy blinked at the familiar voice, then looked at who called him. His Inner Guardian was back and the frown on her pale face made Eric copy her expression but of remorse, once again thinking her Superiors took offense to what he said earlier and she got scolded in his stead. "I'm really sorry, Zerphy," he apologized sincerely. After everything she did for him, the last thing he wanted to do was repay her by getting her in trouble.

The long-haired blonde gave him a small smile. "You're not at fault. It's..." She frowned again. "Mines. I'm afraid we cannot stay here."

"But why?" Eric asked, then he softy murmured, "Are you sure it's not because of me?"

Zerphy's frown deepened and her body tensed up. This reaction led Eric to think she was lying to him, keeping the truth to herself so as to not hurt his feelings. "I promise you, you are not the reason my presence was demanded at the castle." Eric didn't fully believe her, but decided not to voice out his disagreement. "We must leave now. I'll transport you and your mother back to South Park-"

"No." Zerphy widened her eyes a small fraction at Eric. His frown conveyed a displeased forbearance. "I don't think it would be a good idea for us to go back there." He balled his hands into fists. "Not for a while, at least."