Chapter 38: The State Plagued With Perpetual Rain Pt. 1

(A/n: Happy Belated New Year!)

Kyle

It happened in a split second. One moment they were cold and dry, but now, they're still cold, however no longer dry. As the near blinding glow swiftly dims, Kyle and everyone else become drenched under a heavy rainfall.

"Aw, c'mon! Seriously?!" A few of his friends start whining, the loudest being Bebe. No surprise there. Thanks to the rain, the dark clouds make is seem as if it is nighttime. Then again, it might actually be nighttime since Kyle doesn't know where they were sent to. They could be on the other side of the world for all he knows. With a glance, he notices Stan's silent and rigid posture, his expression shadowed by the darkness. Kenny perceives his stillness too, it seems, based on his slight frown.

"Maybe a Transportation Barrier would've been better, after all," Kyle hears Cloud mutter under his breath.

"How does a Warping Zone work exactly?" Kyle asks him as he sweeps the fringes of his hair back.

"It depends on the caster's choice of location," Cloud answers, his darkened bangs glued to his eyebrows. "It doesn't require a detailed imagination or description, just a concrete motive. If someone wants to transfer themself to an island to be away from civilization, then it can be any island on the planet, and they'll be there in an instant."

"I see. So that's why you said it was practical for this situation, because the destination didn't matter," Kyle says, astute.

"That's correct." Cloud scans the vicinity. "Hm, it appears we're standing in the streets of what used to be a city. There are a few tall buildings in the distance that haven't been reduced to ruins like the rest of the smaller ones. Even the lamp posts have been destroyed."

Squinting his eyes, Clyde tries to discern any of the constructions Cloud just mentioned. "Spirits must have amazing eyesight cuz I can't see shit."

A vibrant white light shines into the darkness, extending far and wide, like a light bulb in the center of a room. Visibility is excellent now, but being able to see creates an eerie ambience. Cloud's body is alight with his sparkly aura. Only Yuna is enamored.

"Oh, this is disgusting," Bebe grouses, looking at herself. The rain is discoloring their entire bodies like ink would if splashed on a colorfully painted canvas.

Kyle observes Stan's reaction throughout the corner of his eye, concerned about his super best friend more than the black raindrops. He is now relaxed, but then makes a face of disgust and horror when he sees the rain tarnishing not just his clothes, but also his skin.

"I-isn't it dangerous ta be under the rain any longer?" Leopold asks, getting a bad feeling.

Raven's face furrows into a rare, uneasy frown. "We'd best hurry to find shelter."

Wendy points at a monumental tower-like structure in the distance. "What about going there?"

Cloud narrows his eyes. "Let's check it out." He transports them all to the building, however he's forced to stop halfway.

"A Nullification Barrier," Kenny mutters with distaste.

"And it's a large one at that," Cloud chips in.

"What, does that mean we can't go any further?" Bebe asks.

"Yeah," Kenny says, turning to face everyone. He begins to explain what a Nullification Barrier is.

Kyle looks around, he already obtained prior knowledge about the advanced spell from his Inner Guardian a few years ago. The nearby shops and stores all appear disfigured and/or barren like the ones in South Park, except for those Mrs. Marsh preserved. He spots what used to be a sign off to his right a little more than several meters behind them, it's missing some letters, but the last word is missing two, the remaining three spell 'tel'. "Whether it's a hotel or a motel, we can't take refuge in it," he thinks, frowning at their lack of luck. Just when he's about to inquire for a solution that can resolve their predicament from Luke, he hears Bebe speak in a worried tone.