The past (2)

Have you ever visited a pet shop and pitied the birds in cages? No? I didn't either until I realized I was the bird in the cage and the person who locked me in had no plans on setting me free.

I struggled for days to get out of that damn house to the point that Thaksin stopped going to the office to keep an eye on me. The neighbor who saw me on that occasion told him what happened and that he had seen me several times trying to break the doors and windows.

Manaow, my dear. You can lock yourself in as long as you want, but eventually you will have to eat. Thaksin was in his office reading some company documents while I was locked in what became my safe place at the time: the laundry room. Thaksin would never go in there because he said that was a place where only a woman should be.

I tried calling my parents from my cell phone on several occasions, but it always rang busy, or the call didn't go through. I also tried calling the police, my friends, whoever was in my contacts, but I never got through to anyone.

When I had my first class, I told the professor that I had been kidnapped and to call for help. With a strange calmness, the professor grabbed his cell phone and dialed who I thought would be the authorities, but I was wrong.

My hopes died as soon as I heard him talking to mom's cousin. Thaksin, what happened to Laura...? Ah, what a pity. I thought she had gotten used to it by now. Is she the new one? There was at least one other girl who went through the same thing and she's not here anymore. That could only mean one thing... Well, this girl looks harder to groom. Yes... The professor looked at me one more time before closing his computer leaving me more alone than I already was.

My parents were oblivious to what was clearly in front of their eyes. I held a lot of resentment for them during those years. The few times we talked during the week they would ask me about college, if I had made friends and if I missed Thailand. My answers were the ones formed by Thaksin behind the camera. He would always point the gun at me during those calls.

My supposed friends from school, who vowed to be there forever, disappeared as soon as we graduated, and I moved to Spain.

With nothing else to do, I decided to put my heart into my studies. They were my best distraction.

Although my time with the computer was limited to my classes and I could only do searches on topics related to them, I found information about my professor, and it turned out that he was an eminence in the field of business administration.

I don't know how he ended up mixed up with Thaksin, but at least he taught me everything I know to this day.

Although Thaksin was hardly in the house because of his work, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by so much confinement. The doors and windows wouldn't open. The only one who could go out and breathe fresh air was Thaksin. Little by little everything in my life became darker and darker until I reached the point of depression.

I stopped eating, I didn't leave my room or my bed unless it was to go to the bathroom, I didn't bathe, I didn't talk to my parents. Why would I do that if I couldn't even lie to their faces like Thaksin expected? I just slept and when I was awake, I cried. I think that's why Thaksin made the decision to bring Rocio.

Rocio was Laura's older sister, the girl who was here before. Thaksin contacted her and told her he had information about her sister. Rocio had been looking for her for months, but the police did not get any clues about her whereabouts and the case remained unsolved. Laura was the only family Rocio had left and you can imagine how she felt when she found out the truth.