Karma

Come in! Som, Manaow's father, was reviewing some files when a knock came at his office door.

Mr. Siridawong, sorry to interrupt you. I have Miss Kaniknan Wiwatkul out here wanting to meet with you, said the secretary.

Gyoza? Of course, send her in. The secretary nodded and opened the door wide for Gyo to enter. Gyo noticed that the office was very simple. There were only two photos a frame with Somchai's picture and a picture of his wife with Manaow who was clearly not wanting to be in the picture. There were some art paintings, some plants and the rest were files. Som got up from his chair and greeted her. Just look at my favorite daughter-in-law. You get more beautiful every day. Gyo blushed and lowered her head slightly in respect.

Thank you, Mr. Somchai. He shook his head.

No "Mr. Somchai". I told you, you can call me Som. Gyo nodded. Come, sit down. What brings you here? Did my daughter do something?

Actually, I came for two reasons. The first is that I haven't been able to get in touch with Manaow these days and I wanted to see if you could tell me where to find her. Som sighs.

I don't know much about my daughter's life, but I can give you the address of her apartment. If you don't find her there, she should be at the Salesforce bar. She likes to sing there. Som wrote down the address on a piece of paper and handed it to Gyo. I'm sorry my daughter is so immature and won't return your calls. Believe me she doesn't answer my calls either unless she needs money. Som laughed and Gyo shifted in her seat a little uncomfortably.

Thank you for this. The other reason I came is to talk about my company. I already spoke to my mother, and she let me know what's really going on.

I am very sorry that you are going through something like this. As I told Lawan, even if you marry Manaow we will not have any rights over your company. It will continue to be your family's company; I only intend to help out financially.

I don't have enough words to thank you for what you are doing.

You don't have to thank me. I do it from the bottom of my heart.

May I ask why?

Why am I helping out when you are my competition? Gyo nodded. Do you believe in karma, Gyoza?

Of course I do. Every action has its reaction or consequence.

Exactly. All my life I have tried to do the right things as much as I can, but there are things that are out of my control, such as my daughter. Years ago, I made the wrong decision to let my daughter do whatever she wanted because I wanted to see her happy and somehow keep her by my side. That action had the consequence that to this day my daughter has not done anything worthwhile. She is 28 years old and has never worked a day in her life. She barely has her high school diploma.

You can't blame yourself. You did it for your daughter. Maybe it wasn't the right decision, but Manaow's decisions don't fall on your shoulders. Som smiled at her.

That's where a parent's mentality comes in. My daughter is my world even if it doesn't look like it and I would do anything for her. Manaow had a serious problem a while back and I've done my best to fix it, but you can't cover the sun with a finger. When you become a mother, you will understand me a little better.

Why don't you force Manaow to work? By getting married, there's no guarantee that she'll change her attitude.

I thought about it many times, but my daughter is just as stubborn as her mother. If you force her too much, she runs away. I don't want to lose her. Even if she can't inherit the company, I want to at least see her married to a good woman. Maybe a grandchild or two if possible. Gyo wanted to run away as soon as she heard Som chuckle. Luckily the phone rang.