Bonding

Devi squealed excitedly once they parked in front of Sunrise Tacos. That was so much fun and thrilling. I feel like I'm going to faint!

WHAT?! Gyo ran to her sister. What do you mean, are you okay? She immediately looked at Manaow and started smacking her arm with every word she said. I told you this wasn't a good idea!

Ow! Why are you hitting me, shorty? Devi was the one who wanted to do it. Manaow tried to avoid the blows that were getting stronger and stronger.

Devi pulled her sister's arm until she fell to the ground next to her. Can you relax? I'm perfectly fine. I'm so glad I did this. When I walk again, I'll buy a motorcycle and Naow can teach me how to ride it.

Gyo stumbled over her words. W-wait a minute. Can you repeat what you said? The most genuine smile Manaow had ever seen appeared on Gyo's lips.

You heard me, sis. I have a lot of work to do, so I won't accept a substitute for Lin. Gyo pouted. Besides, I don't think Naow will find time to attend all the therapy sessions, so don't worry.

The newly engaged couple helped Devi sit in her wheelchair and headed for the restaurant.

No way! A young man of average height, dark complexion and an earnest grin walked toward Manaow hugging her tightly. I thought you'd never come to visit.

Hey, Marcos! I'm sorry, I've been a little busy. The Wiwatkul sisters were surprised to hear Manaow speaking Spanish so fluently. After the hug, they shook hands promptly. This is...

Your fiancée! The guy spoke in Thai to address the girls. Gyoza, right? Gyo nodded and let the boy place a kiss on her cheek. And this beauty here must be your sister. Nice to meet you, beautiful. I'm Marcos Rivera.

Hi, my name is Devi. Devi blushed a little at the nickname.

It's a pleasure to have the 3 of you in my humble restaurant. Come with me, I'll take you to your table. Marcos grabbed 3 menus from the bar and guided them to one of the tables. Here you will taste the best Mexican food in all of Thailand, I promise you. Devi followed him happily and hungrily almost savoring the smell that invaded her nostrils. Naow and Gyo walked behind them.

I didn't know you spoke Spanish, Gyo mentioned before sitting down in the chair Manaow arranged for her.

There's a lot you don't know about me. Maybe someday I can tell you. Manaow sat down next to her. Devi was already lost looking at the menu and wanting to order every single dish. Marcos, is your mom not here today?

She will come by later. She went grocery shopping to replenish the inventory. Marcos patted her shoulder. You know she still insists that....

No. We've talked about it several times. This restaurant is yours and you don't owe me anything.

Naow... She shook her head at that.

What happened? asked Gyo curiously.

Miss Humility here bought this place for us and gave us a bonus "semi-anonymously" so we could start the business, but she refuses to let us tell people or pay her that money back, Marcos explained.

I've already told you that I don't need to be paid. I am glad I helped you and that the restaurant is so successful. Gyo looked at her older sister who lowered the menu just enough to show her eyes and wiggled her eyebrows insinuatingly. She uttered the words " She's perfect for you" before looking back down at the menu. Gyo cleared her throat and looked at her own menu.

Marcos sighed. Thank you for promoting the restaurant in your bar.

You don't have to keep thanking me. You're helping me feed those drunks coming out of the bar. Manaow laughed.

Well, I'll let you choose what you're going to order. The dishes of the day are on the second page illustrated. I'll be back in a few minutes. The 3 of them nodded. Devi motioned with her hand for Gyo to come closer and whispered in her ear.

If you don't marry her, I will, but that woman doesn't leave this family without a Wiwatkul around her neck. Gyo hit her knee with the corner of the table trying to kick her sister unsuccessfully.

If this is real Mexican food, I'm moving to Mexico! Devi talked with her mouth full of the different dishes she ordered.

It's really delicious, Naow, Gyo admitted. How did you meet Marcos?

Manaow wiped her mouth with a napkin before speaking. He and his mom had a little stand where they sold some of these dishes in front of the university. I tried the pozole and enchiladas and was delighted. When I started visiting the cart more often, I became friends with Marcos. He told me that he and his mom used the profits from the cart to survive and pay for his studies. I saw a lot of potential in the business, so I bought this place and gave them a small bonus to get started.

Small bonus you say? You gave us 500,000 baht (approx. $13,500), said the old woman leaning on the counter. Manaow got up and hugged her.

Hi, Mama Hilda. Manaow grabbed her hand and brought it to her lips. Bendición. (Latin cultures say that word to ask for blessings from an older relative.)

May God take care of you always, my child. It's a miracle you're here.

Devi wanted to eat tacos and obviously I had to bring her to the best spot. Devi greeted her with her mouth still full and her face all smeared with different sauces. This is her little sister, Gyoza. My fiancée. Hilda smacked the back of Manaow's head. OY!

You finally settled down, I see. Hilda walked over to Gyo. Thank you. Gyo almost choked on her drink.

Thank you for what?

For accepting her. I was worried about her "life style". Hilda gave Manaow a disapproving look, and Manaow hung her head in shame.

Gyo?

Mm. She crouched down next to her older sister.

If I fall into a coma, don't let me wake up this time. I can't even breathe from eating so much. Manaow laughed.

I told you those portions are deceiving. They look small so you keep eating non-stop and suddenly it all blows up in your stomach, Manaow commented, rubbing her belly too.

She checked her text messages after getting Devi into Gyo's car. "We are fine. Already at the airport." There was also an attached photo of a woman with tanned skin, brown hair and eyes and a sweet smile next to a fair-skinned, light-haired, boy who was making funny faces at the camera.

Everything all right? Gyo asked. Manaow put the cell phone in her pocket.

Everything is perfect. Thank you for today. I'm glad to have spent time with both of you.

Us too. Gyo glanced casually at the car. Devi had already gone into a food coma. Hahaha I don't know how mom and I will get her out of the car.

If you want, I'll come to your house and help out, Manaow suggested.

No, don't worry. We can do it. If she's too heavy, we'll let her sleep in the car. They both burst out laughing.

Okay. Then be careful on your way back. Manaow gently kissed Gyo's cheek causing her to turn red.

Let me know when you get home. I mean, if you want to. Manaow nodded and sat on her bike. Gyo started up her car and waited for Manaow to leave and then drove off as well. No one noticed that a black car was following them since the therapy center and that the person inside was watching them enraged.