The past (1)

Manaow's p.o.v

My mother always spoke highly of her cousin, Thaksin. He was rescued from a group home when he was 12 years old. I say rescued because apparently no one wanted to adopt him because he was too old compared to the other children who also lived there. My uncle, may he rest in peace, worked as a volunteer in several homes including Thaksin's and that's how he adopted him.

The first time I saw him in person, and not through a screen or photograph, he came to my house with a big smile on his face, dressed in elegant clothes and a European look, but at the same time he gave me chills every time I looked into his eyes.

Thaksin was in charge of the headquarters of the family business in Spain. On one of his many business trips, he decided to visit his "favorite cousin".

Thaksin! What are you doing here? Taeng, my mother, hugged him tightly. Why didn't you tell me you were coming? He laughed.

Then it wouldn't be a surprise, cousin. You look more radiant every day. I looked at him confused. His face looked familiar, but I couldn't remember his name. Don't tell me that beautiful girl is your daughter? My mother nodded.

Naow, come and say hello to my cousin Thaksin. I walked over and held out my hand.

No way, we are family. Thaksin enveloped me in an awkward hug from which I pulled away from as quickly as I could. You know, I saw you when you were born.

How many people were in that delivery room with mom?

I've been in Spain for so many years that I haven't had a chance to visit you all before. You look beautiful.

I didn't like the way he looked at me. Thank you... Mom, can I go to my friends' house now?

Shouldn't you be studying? Your grades leave a lot to be desired.

That's why. I'm going to study with them. I get distracted here. My mother sighed in resignation. When it came to studying, any excuse would do.

Okay, but only for a little while. I grabbed my backpack that I had hidden behind one of the sofa cushions.

Yes, Mom! I ran out the door before she changed her mind.

The second time I heard about him was when I graduated from high school. My plan was to travel the world for a year before starting college, but my parents decided it was best for me to study then travel. I wasn't very happy about it at first, but on second thought I realized that if I did it my way, I would probably never study at all.

Naow, what is your insistence on studying at a university outside Thailand? You can get the best education here too. The truth was that I wanted to be away from my parents. I accepted the condition to study business administration, but only if they would let me study outside Thailand. I wanted to have a good experience at university. I was fascinated by the idea of being able to go out, go to parties, and learn about other cultures.

Mom, I told you. If you want me to study business, you have two options: either you let me study outside Thailand, or I travel first for a year and then study.

Somchai, say something! Dad didn't care what I did as long as I didn't cause trouble.

Let her do what she wants, Taeng. She always does in the end.

A few days later my mother sat down to talk to me.

Naow, do you really want to study outside Thailand?