Flashback

Manaow felt like she was being watched under a microscope when she sat down at the table where only Gyo's friends and family were sitting. Warang was glaring at her, Lada was savoring her, Devi was looking at her curiously, Suay and Thida were looking at her as if in her face they could find the answers to their questions.

The only one not looking at her was Prang and Manaow understood perfectly why. When Warang hit her that night, Manaow felt dizzy, had a headache and was mostly confused. She didn't understand what happened or why Warang was treating her like that. She only remembers the silhouette of Warang carrying Prang in her arms coming out of her room.

Early in the morning Manaow drank a large cup of black coffee to help cure her hangover quickly. I didn't even drink that much. As hard as she tried to call Warang, she wouldn't answer the phone. After a few minutes her calls were automatically sent to voicemail. Manaow decided to dial her best friend.

Jaojom, I need you to do me a favor.

After I broke my back carrying you because of how drunk you were, you should be doing me a favor.

Jaojom, I'm serious. I don't know what the hell happened last night, but Warang left my place super pissed off and I don't understand why. Prang was here too and she didn't look good at all.

You probably blew up her cell phone with calls because of how drunk you were, and Prang accompanied her to your apartment.

No, it's more than that. Please, I need you to talk to Prang's friend Mercedes.

Ugh! Don't drag me into your mess, Naow. Why don't you want to talk to her yourself?

She likes me and you know how intense Atom gets.

I still don't understand what the hell you see in that crazy chick. You two spend all your time drinking and partying. And when you're with her, she won't let you hang out with your friends. She's super jealous and possessive.

Jao, I didn't call you so you could criticize Atom. Can you do me that favor or not? Jaojom sighed.

Okay, I'll talk to her when I get out of class.

Thank you! Don't tell her I sent you.

Of course not. Naow?

Yes, what is it?

Are you really not going back to college? I know it's a big deal what happened two months ago, but your parents have already taken care of it. Don't let that accident ruin your life.

I'll talk to you later. Call me when you know something. Manaow pressed the end call button. She looked at what was left of the coffee in her cup, went to the pantry and grabbed a bottle of whiskey. She poured the liquid into a glass and drank it in one swig. Shuffling her feet, Manaow went back to bed for a few more hours of sleep.

Are you all right? That unanswered question is what had caused Manaow to drink too much, party hard, and not focus on her studies at college. She ended up withdrawing from the remainder of the semester and from college despite several protests from Jaojom and her parents.

Hello, Mercedes? She turned to the voice that called her.

Yes. You're Jaojom, aren't you, Manaow's best friend? He nodded.

Yes. Sorry to bother you. You look in a bit of a hurry.

Yes, my friend is in the hospital, and I want to go see her.