Together As One

As the sun rose higher, the forest came alive with the symphony of nature. Birds sang melodiously, leaves rustled in the gentle breeze, and occasional twigs snapped underfoot as Anna and Harry ventured deeper into the woods.

"Anna, we've been walking for an hour now," Harry sighed, his steps following her enthusiastic stride. It was the first time in a year he had seen her so full of life.

"He's somewhere out there, Harry. I can feel it in my bones," Anna declared, pausing to glance back at the weary expression on Harry's face.

"Okay" he muttered, not having a heart to shatter her excitement. She was definitely losing her mind.

Another hour passed, the exhaustion mounting with each step. Their feet ached, both of them in complete silence, knowing very well this was a big mistake. Anna felt her excitement fading, a shame and sorrow replacing it.

"We should get back" Anna said, her voice full of disappointment.

"Can I stay at your place?" Harry's request was hesitant, his eyes searching her face for a sign of acceptance.

Anna narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "Okaaay?" she replied, well aware that Harry hated staying overnight.

"I don't want you to be alone tonight with some creep following you," he clarified, nodding towards the path leading back to her house.

"Okay," she mumbled to herself, steeling herself for the journey back as she clumsily followed Harry's brisk pace.

As they arrived at Anna's house, Francis greeted them warmly, taking their coats with a smile. Anna led Harry into the spacious living room, where a cozy fire crackled in the hearth, casting a comforting glow across the room.

Anna reached for a bottle of Irish whiskey, Tommy's favorite, and poured them each a generous measure.

The room was filled with a sense of melancholy as they sipped their drinks, the weight of disappointment heavy in the air. Anna's disappointment was palpable, her gaze drifting to the flickering flames as she wrestled with her emotions.

"I can't believe we didn't find anything," Anna murmured, her voice heavy with regret. "I was so sure he would be out there."

Harry nodded sympathetically, his own heart heavy with the weight of their fruitless search. "I know, Anna. But sometimes, things aren't meant to be found."

They lapsed into a companionable silence, the only sound the soft crackle of the fire and the gentle lapping of whiskey against glass.

Anna decided to go to bed, but despite the late hour, she couldn't will herself to sleep, her mind consumed by thoughts of what could have been.

Unable to bear the confines of her bed any longer, Anna rose from the comfort of her covers and made her way to the chair next to the huge window overlooking the expansive garden below. Moonlight bathed the landscape in a soft, ethereal glow.

As Anna gazed out into the darkness, her heart skipped a beat when she saw him again. The figure stood motionless in the back of the garden, shrouded in shadow yet unmistakably familiar. The same coat and hat, the same piercing gaze fixed directly on her window.

Fear and disbelief coursed through Anna's veins as she stared back at the apparition before her. How could it be possible? Tommy was gone, yet there he stood as a ghostly figure haunting her.

For a moment, Anna was frozen in place, her breath caught in her throat. But then, fueled by a surge of adrenaline, she found her voice.