You Will Live

Anna's heart thudded in the quiet of the night, a persistent echo as she sat on the bed, watching Tommy peacefully asleep

His face caught in the soft moonlight, chest rising and falling with each tranquil breath.

With a shaky hand, she touched his chest, closing her eyes to feel the steady heartbeat, tears streaming down her face. Why couldn't she just be happy?

She wanted him to live, even if it meant killing someone. Tommy wouldn't hurt an innocent person, why not use this opportunity to get rid of the dangerous criminals.

Well, maybe she was just fooling herself, trying to justify this morally questionable act. But Tommy wasn't the first one getting this surgery done, and it made her suspicious about how much Johnny knew. Convinced that wealthy fuckers cared little about innocence of their donors, she questioned the extent of Johnny's dark secrets. As she considered marrying a man she hardly knew, it hit her that their relationship was built on mutual ignorance.

With Tommy it was different, there were no lies, she could be her authentic self and appreciated it more than anything.

~

"How'd you sleep?" Tommy asked over his tea, watching Anna wrestle with exhaustion, clutching a piece of toast. Her red and puffy eyes revealed a sleepless night, stirring a knot of guilt in Tommy's stomach.

"Good," she replied absentmindedly, not fully engaged with his penetrating gaze. Her mind was drifting.

"Clearly" he mumbled under his breath, taking a disapproving bite of his toast, his eyebrow raised. Clearing his throat, he redirected her attention when she remained silent, her brown eyes meeting his for the first time since breakfast.

"My family won't hear about this, alright?" he said, pursing his lips.

"Bu-"

"It's non-negotiable, Anna," he asserted with authority, his expression emphasizing the gravity of his words.

She swallowed, nodding "Okay".

"I'll find the right donor. Same blood type as me, and well..." he paused, noting the dread in Anna's wide eyes. "Well, it doesn't matter, darling. I'll take care of it," his own words sent a wave of guilt and disgust directly to his stomach, making it challenging to keep his breakfast down. He might be a gangster who had killed before, but the thought of becoming a murderer for organs made him feel sick.

"I've got to go to work. Harry's already pissed—I didn't do anything yesterday," Anna stated, pushing a plate with almost untouched toast away, her face reflecting the disgust she felt inside. Eating more was out of the question.