Happy Birthday

Johnny was genuinely surprised, wrapping his arms tightly around Autumn. He fought back tears, feeling her warm presence against him. It wasn't a dream; she was really there. The joy of holding her again, however, was dampened by the distress evident on her face.

"You look terrible..." he pulled away, holding her shoulders to examine her face closely. Her eyes were red and puffy, dark circles framing them, her face slightly swollen, and her lips cracked. She looked unwell, stirring nerves in Johnny about what she might reveal.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, his green eyes clouded with worry as he gazed at her.

Gently, she wiggled out of his grip, coughing, "won't you invite me in?" she implied, waiting for his to step aside and let her in.

"Of course sweetheart" he chuckled nervously, watching her as she entered his room, looking around curiously before taking off her coat, holding it in her hands nervously.

Johnny could sense something was wrong. He took the coat from her hands, hanging it on a rack, and guided her towards a bed with a hand on her back.

The room was small but comfortable, with minimal furniture. There was no seating area, just a large bed in the middle. Anna wondered why he chose this small room, but she wasn't there to discuss his choices.

Taking a seat next to her, Johnny grabbed her hand, gripping it tightly with a warm smile, genuinely happy to see her.

"Tommy is in a hospital," she said, gently pulling her hand out of his grip, not wanting to hurt his feelings.

Confusion painted his face; his eyebrows furrowed, and his eyes urged her to explain further.

"He's been shot, multiple times," she uttered, a struggle to contain her emotions evident in her voice. Despite the breaking tone, she fought to keep her composure.

"Why are you telling me this?" he frowned, his heart pounding, uneasy about the direction this conversation was taking.

"But he managed to kill the Italians" she ignored his question, her gaze fixed on her hands.

"Italians?" he repeated, squinting in confusion.

Anna realized he didn't know anything. He was completely clueless, and she had a lot of explaining to do.

"So you're telling me it was the Italian mafia?" he yelled, standing up, shock coursing through him. "Fuck," he spat, turning to face her.

She glanced up at him, guilt pressing down on her chest like a heavy stone.

"So, did you succeed? He trusted you; that's why he's in the hospital, right?" Johnny's voice carried a sinking feeling, making it hard for him to stand. The room seemed to close in as he sought reassurance.

"No" Anna replied softly, her gaze avoiding his intense eyes.

Johnny sank back onto a bed beside her, burying his head in his hands. "Talk," he mumbled against his palms.

"I fell in love with him, Johnny," she confessed in a shaky voice, wiping away her tears.

"I know," he whispered, his voice carrying a heavy weight of sorrow

Tears continued to trace down Anna's cheeks as she looked up at the man beside her, his hunched back shaking with a head in his palms. He was crying. Her chest tightened with guilt and she wished to die in that moment.

"I'm so sorry, Johnny, I..." she sobbed, unable to finish her sentence.

"Please, leave" Johnny whispered, his voice breaking as he struggled to maintain his usual composure.