Arrogant Bastard

Tommy's eyes flickered open, the dim hospital room coming into focus. His throat felt dry, and his voice emerged as a raspy whisper as he tried to speak. Confusion clouded Tommy's gaze as he tried to piece together the fragments of time that had passed. Yet he felt a sense of calmness, happy that the war was over.

Tears glistered in Anna's eyes, she couldn't believe her eyes. Seeing Tommy awake was like a dream and she was scared to look away as if he was to dissapear, fall back into his unconscious state. A tender smile graced her lips, and she reached out to touch his hand. Tommy, determined to bridge the distance between them, struggled against the pain racking his body. His hand trembled, but he managed to extend it towards hers.

His dry, raspy voice broke a silence. "Anna," he whispered, the sound barely audible. The room seemed to shrink around them. Tommy's body ached with every movement, wounds protesting against his awakening, but the warmth of her presence eclipsed the pain.

"Let me call a doctor" she whispered through tears, excitement painting her face. Tommy's grip on her hand tightened.

"Wait," he protested, reluctant to let her go. Yet, Anna, a mix of excitement and worry, needed to summon a doctor for his examination.

"I'll be right back!" she shouted, hastening out of the room, a determined sprint leading her towards Dr. Martin's office.

In the past month they had grown pretty close. She's got used to his stern, sarcastic self and he learned to accept her stubbornness and her deep love for Tommy.

"How long have I've been sleeping" Tommy rasped, his voice breaking the stillness as Dr. Martin examined his heart.

In the corner of the room, Anna stood breathless, watching their interaction. She had already informed Polly and the rest of the family, and they were on a way to the hospital.

"34 days" the doctor replied casually, stowing his equipment on a nearby table. He then instructed Tommy to gaze at a light, nodding to himself as he conducted the examination.

"Mr. Shelby, you were born again. I hope you'll use this second chance wisely," he uttered, a touch of scorn in his tone that Tommy intentionally ignored.

"Oh, that I will," he mumbled, locking his tired blue eyes with Anna's. She blushed instantly, grasping the hidden meaning in his gaze.

"Good" the doctor ushered, removing his glasses. "Now, don't try to stand up too quickly; you'll most likely get lightheaded and faint. Take it easy, step by step. First of all, let's try to sit up," he pocketed his glasses, extending a hand toward Tommy.

Rolling his eyes, Tommy ignored the offered hand, pushing himself into a seated position with a low, raspy groan.

Instinctively, Anna moved to rush towards him, ready to assist or comfort, but Dr. Martin's hand intercepted her, preventing her from helping him.

The pain etched on Tommy's scrunched face was unmistakable, huffing angrily as he pushed through the discomfort to sit up. His eyes closed as the world around him started to spin.

A broad, approving smile crept onto the doctor's face. It wasn't often that Anna saw him smile, but today, he was genuinely impressed.

"Good," he praised with a smirk. "Now, lay down and rest. I'm sure Mrs. Thompson will take good care of you," he added, winking at Anna. Gathering his belongings, he left the room, a light smirk still lingering on his face.

"Arrogant bastard" Tommy mumbled, burying himself back into the grave he managed to crawl out of.

Born again. He scoffed to himself. This wasn't his second chance; he had died so many times that he'd lost count. If he believed in a God, he'd think the Almighty was a sick fucker playing games with him. Why else would he let him live? Why take so many innocent lives but spare his? Perhaps it was his punishment. To live.