Fuck That

The heavy rain and a grey sky surrounded a small heat but Anna's mood was like a shining shield, casting warmth and sunlight into a melancholy weather.

As the door swung open, a wave of excitement filled the air. The family erupted in cheers, and Anna couldn't contain her enthusiasm, sprinting towards Tommy and launching herself at him. Caught off guard, Tommy surveyed the scene with a surprised grin. The room was adorned with a welcoming sign that read, "Welcome Home Tomm-" with a missing "Y," a clear indication of Arthur's handiwork and the lack of space on the paper.

This unexpected display wasn't typical of his family, and the mischievous grin on the person clinging to him revealed the true mastermind.

Embracing Anna, Tommy made his way deeper into the house, gently closing the door behind him. Despite his attempt to shed his coat, Anna refused to release her grip. Nonchalantly kicking off his boots, he leaned in and planted a kiss in her hair.

Beneath Tommy's faint smile, a quiet emptiness lingered in his eyes; celebration wasn't on his agenda. All he craved was a retreat upstairs, where the amber glow of whiskey and the curling smoke of cigarettes awaited him. He needed to get back into a work. There were so many things he needed to take care of, the things he missed. Polly was a smart woman and she knew how to run a business, but Tommy had so many ideas he wanted to realize and with a limited time he had left, he needed to start working as soon as possible.

"I need to change" he declared, his expression returning to its usual cold demeanor as he delicately untangled Anna's arms from around him.

Before anyone could utter a word, he was already striding towards his room, leaving behind a cloud of confusion and disappointment.

The room fell into awkward silence as they exchanged looks, no one understanding what was happening.

"Ungrateful Bastard" John mumbled, breaking a silence.

"And here I am, playing decorator like a fucking idiot," Arthur snarled, frustration evident as he seized a sign and flung it to the ground.

Anna felt her heart climb into her throat; Tommy was undeniably different, and she struggled not to take it personally. Offering a forced smile, she comfortingly stroked Arthur's back.

"You did amazing," she reassured him, before turning her gaze to the rest of the family.

"Let me talk to him" she continued with a suble smile, ready to follow Tommy upstairs.

When she entered a room, she found him sitting on a bed, an empty glass clutched in one hand and a cigarette in other. His expression was chilling, almost angry. Did they anger him with that little gathering?

"What's wrong?" she inquiried softly, moving closer and relieving him of the empty glass, placing it on the nightstand. Tommy took a deep breath, visibly frustrated by her action, yet he remained silent.

"Tommy, talk to me" she urged, her steps bringing her closer. She gently grasped his tormented face, lifting it to meet her gaze.

"There's so much work Anna. I have to get back to my work. I-I have-" Tommy's voice bagn to break and he paused to take another deep breath. His chest tightened with pain. Was it a stress or was it his failing heart? Frustration overwhelmed him, and he stood abruptly, unintentionally pushing Anna backward.

"I need to take care of some things," he spat out hastily, storming out of the room. The door swung shut behind him, leaving Anna alone, trying to make sense of the storm of emotions that had just swept through the room.

Tears welled up in her eyes, her attempts to understand Tommy falling short. Why would the first thing he wanted to do after coming home from the hospital be work? For the past two months he's been talking about their future, a wedding, children, family. And now he was running away, unable to look into her eyes.