CHAPTER 18

"Why not?" I asked, trying to get past the doctor.
What happened? Why can't I go in? Is he ok?
"He's fine Anna." Zina came into the white hallway.
The doctor pushed me back as I tried to sidestep him. "You can't go in there."
"At least tell me why? What's going on?" I stopped myself from yelling. Why? I need to know what's going on with him.
"He woke up."
I stepped back. "Then why can't I go to him?" I asked. Panic creeping over me and pooling in my eyes.
"He's in a very gentle state right now," Zina explained as Asshure left Laurents hospital room. His cheek bruised inn a line close to his eye.
"Why isn't it working?" He asked the doctor, completely ignoring me.
"Just give him a few days, come visit him then," the doctor warned me before taking Zina and Asshure away.
I shook my hands out, trying to get rid of the jittery feeling in me. It's fine I'll see him in a day or two. This is fine.
I went back to the tree house only to find it empty. It feels like I'm missing something. Like I just need someone here.
The bath I took felt like I was dragging myself through a hot swamp. I dried my hair and tried to find a good outfit for the coronation.
"Why is there nothing here!" I screamed out in frustration as I threw off the shirt I had pulled on.
A pile of clothes were sitting on the bed. None of them made me feel any better. All of them just frustrating me out. I feel like kicking myself for get emotional about such a dumb thing.
I pulled on Laurents old jacket since I got cold and sat down. "I should be fine right now," I told myself. I am fine. I'm just crying over clothes.
I pulled the piled off the bed after some time passed and wiped my snot off my face. I dont want to go anymore. I just want to stay in bed for the rest of my life.
A black shirt and cargo pants was what I ended up wearing. Only part of what I wore that made me feel sane was the jacket. I cried over the lip stuff I smeared on when I found it in the pocket.
I washed the dirt from the crown and carried in with me as I headed to were the others were meeting. I feel like a trash bag. It took me hours to get out of the room and its to late to try and change in tome for the coronation.
I dont care anymore.
I strode over to Dollia. Pulling my hands into my pockets with the crown hanging around my wrist like a shiny trophy. The area reminded me of a wedding aisle. "So what's happening is everybody here already?"
There wasn't much people here. Just the more important council members and the kings and queens I met from earlier.
"Yes, well mostly. We're waiting for her highness lady Capala." Dollia looked back to where the entrance to the place is.
I waited awkwardly with the grandma. Just sticking close but not doing much talking. The jerk of Vildrid kept glancing back at us. He's impatient like the rest of us but he was the only one who outright complained about it from time to time.
Capala finally arrived. She calmly walked over to me. "Here. New crown. Make day special since you dont want dead one." She pointed to the crown I had before handing me the one she had prepared.
I took a look at it but she headed to her seat before I could thank her.
It was something special.
A beautiful piece of black metal with silver tips and red gems embedded into the biggest tip. The brightest blue I have ever seen sat in the center of the crown.
"I'm glad. Your doing a great job," Dollia said with a pat on my shoulder before she left to her seat.
An old man made it up to the stage and some hidden band started to play music. It feels strange.
I'm doing a good job?
A great job.
I set the dead kings crown next to a rose bush before making it down the aisle. The guy started speaking once I made it onto the stage like front. I stuck my tongue out at the Vildrid boy and smiled as I turned back to the old man.
He went on about something I'm sure must have been important. I felt figity up until the man finished. He waited a few moments and just signaled for me to give him my crown. I hesitated before giving him what he wanted.
A small weight settled around my head and centered around my neck. It almost felt like a small chain was laid over my shoulders.
Grounding was the first word I thought of before the others stood up and started applauding.
Empty was the second word that filtered through my head as I went down into the small crowd to get congratulated.
It feels strangely empty since Laurent isn't here smiling down at me and joking around about something he knew would make me laugh.
"Thank you for it." I smiled at Capala as the others complemented me. I answered what small talk I wanted to, trying to slowly make my way out of the assembly.
Everyone gathered for food indoors but I quietly slipped back to were I left my other crown and got away from the area.
Ny blended into the night as I flew back to the hospital. Laurent should be asleep right now. I settled on landing a bot further from the hospital and making the rest of the way there on foot.
I made my way down a trail and around the building. Even the walls outside the hospital were a clean white. No weeds around it and nothing growing around the windows I walked by.
I paused at his window.
The moon filtered through the glass, shining on the edge of the bed but not getting rid of all the shadow that cast over him. His hands were still bandaged. Lying at his side with the rest of his body covered with a blanket.
He looks dead.
His chest rose and fell gently and I just watched for a second.
Do I go in? Would he let me?
The glass slid quietly as I opened the large window. I hesitated getting down on the floor since I didn't want to wake him up.
Can I just show him the crown?
I tried to stay quiet as I closed the window once more. I don't want him to get cold. Turning I looked back to the empty bed.
"What?" I whispered in confusion as I ran over to the empty mattress, the blanket on the floor with the pillow on its side.
"Anna?" Laurents voice startled me as I turned to the darkest corner of the room. He limped out of the shadow. I watched as he tried to figure out where I stood from the sound of my breathing.
"I'm right here." I didn't move, letting him slowly feel his way over to me. I could feel my heart slowly crying in the inside as I tried not to stare at the bandages around his eyes.
He's blind.