Part 3: Chapter 22 & 23

(3rd Pov Sunny)

In some ways, Burn and Blaze should have been easier to send a message to. they both had a fixed home base - Burn at the stronghold, Blaze in her fortress in the Ice Kingdom. But Sunny was not about to waltz into either place, and she didn't want to send anyone she knew to face them. She didn't trust Burn or Queen Glacier not to just kill the messenger.

After a lot of arguing, though, Glory had offered a solution for Blaze: send a RainWing or Stormcaller to pass the message along.
"Send me," was her actual suggestion. "I could be there and back in a couple of days."

"Absolutely not," Deathbringer had said. "You are the dragon holding this rainforest together. Two tribes depend on you; if anything happens, you're leaving chaos behind. And Blaze will probably recognize you."
"True," Clay had agreed. "But you could send someone else. Maybe Stormcaller?"

Mention of his grabbed the NightWing's attention. Stormcaller had been looking through a few of his scrolls - these ones having actual words in them.
"While I could very easily break into Blaze's fortress to give her the message," he said, "I don't have the needed materials to disguise myself as an IceWing and I don't think the SandWing would suddenly let a new recruit meet Blaze as soon as they walks in side."

"I could go," Deathbringer offered. "I know where it is."
"Absolutely not," Glory had echoed back at him, only half teasing. "Remember the part where you tried to kill Blaze? You're the last dragon she'd trust. Glacier probably has soldiers prepared to kill you on sight. She's probably told them to kill any NightWing who comes along, just in case it's you."
"Aww," Deathbringer said. "You totally care if I live or die, too."

Sunny could practically see the struggle in Glory's scales as she tried to stamp out any bits of pink that were trying to sneak through. "Well, sure," she said. "A dead messenger wouldn't do us much good at all."
Deathbringer laughed, and Sunny realized that he was deliberately provoking Glory because he liked the way she shot him down. 'If that's what he's looking for in a dragon,' she thought, 'he's certainly picked the right one.'

"Send Jambu and Mangrove," Sunny suggested. "They both know the way, and they can keep an eye on each other."
Everyone had agreed to this plan, including Jambu and Mangrove, but Sunny still felt anxious as she watched the two RainWings slip into the tunnel that led to the Kingdom of Sand. It was the day She, Tsunami, and Stormcaller got back from the Talons of Peace; the flight had taken them three days with almost no stops. 'Seven days to go,' she thought.

"Be safe," Glory said to them. "That's an order from your queen."
"Yes, Your Majesty," Jambu answered, grinning in a way that suggested he just liked saying those words, not that he was actually listening.
"Stay camouflaged as much as you can, the whole way there. And you don't have to go into the fortress or even the whole way to the fortress. If you find an IceWing patrol before you get there, tell them to tell Blaze and then you come home. Right away. Understand?"
"Yup," said Mangrove. "We still understand. Like we did five minutes ago when you last explained it. And five minutes before that. And-"
"All right, go away," Glory said flicking her tongue at them.

"Remember to tell them she has to show up!" Sunny called. "Or else she doesn't get to be queen! Make sure that part of the message gets to Glacier!" She was least sure about Blaze, who seemed happy to hide in her fortress and let other dragons do all the fighting for her. If she was going to show up, Sunny had a feeling it would be only because Queen Glacier dragged her there.

As soon as their tails had disappeared, Sunny turned to Clay and Stormcaller. "Ready?"
The now brown NightWing nodded, putting his bag under his wing.
"Sure," Clay said. "I mean, I've eaten breakfast. What else do I need to do? Oooh, maybe some more breakfast. That's a good idea."
Sunny laughed, and soon the three of them were aloft, soaring north through the rainforest toward the Mud Kingdom.