Book 2: The Lost Heir: Prologue

Year 5,002 AS

It was a stormy day. Dark grey, almost black clouds rolled across the sky. Thunder could be heard in the distance and there wasn't a drop of rain in sight. A group of SeaWings are seen on an island, the wind roaring by. They seem to be searching for something.

"Captain Shark!" one of them yells. "They're not here!"
"They have to be!" The one and only Captain Shark yells back. "Keep searching!"
"Shark! I found something!"
The SeaWing's head whips around to look at who said that. It was Commander Tempest. Shark ran down the beach. 
"What is it?" he asked.
"The scout team," she said. "well, what's left of them." She gestured in front of them with her wing.

Blood was strewn about the sandy beach. Scales were scattered, organs were obliterated, limbs were lost, and bodies were beaten. It was a gruesome sight. Many SeaWings were vomiting in the bushes. It took every fiber of Shark's being to stay still and look strong.
"Wha-what happened?" he asked.

"Don't know," Tempest admitted. "No wild animal could have done this. Who ever did this was one sick bastard."
"Have we identified anyone?" he questioned.
Tempest just shook her head.

Then, it was as if some cruel god answered their questions in the worst way possible.
"ADELE!" A distressed voice shrieked.
The SeaWings' heads shot over to see who it was. It was a females SeaWing clutching a severed head in her talons, tears streaming down her face. Adele's face was one that was contorted in fear. The one that was clutching the head was Sapphire, a soldier that he trusted. She was married and-

Oh no

Adele was her husband. He was a part of the scout team that was sent to patrol the coast of the Sky Kingdom. He had told them it would be a quick mission, in and out. Three days would be all it would take.
"Take everyone back to the palace," Shark ordered. "I'll stay a bit longer to look around."
Tempest just nodded before gathering everyone up before flying off in the direction of the palace.
The wind picked up and the sky grew darker. The thunder grew louder, but yet. Not a single bolt of lightning or drop of rain was in sight.

Shark stayed on that beach for what felt like hours, but was only a few minutes. He thought about what could have caused this. It couldn't have been an animal. It couldn't have been SkyWings. He knew Scarlet was considered a little crazy, but not all SkyWings were like her. It couldn't have been IceWings, they rarely fought with them. They were on the other side of Pyrrhia. His mind kept going back to it being an animal. He didn't know why.

Then it hit him. There had been recent reports of an abnormally large saltwater crocodile in this exact area. And not only was it's size weird, it was an odd blue color. He wasn't there but he had heard and read the reports. But even then, why didn't the scout team just fly away. A crocodile of that size would be slow enough for them to escape. What was going on here.

He turned around and was immediately met with his answer. Floating in the water was a large blue ... thing, with four orange spikes along it's back and two orange horns. The water was so gray he couldn't see any part of the thing that was submerged, except for it's orange eyes that seemed to almost glow in the water.

The head of the thing rose out of the water soon followed by the rest of it's serpentine like body, that towered over him. It was so sudden, Shark couldn't move. Lightning flashed behind him and the creature as rain started pouring down from the sky. There was a flash of lightning as the beast lunged at Shark, it's mouth wide open, ready to kill him. Then there was another flash of lightning, except it wasn't normal. It was red.

And then the beast was gone. The rain was washing the blood on the beach into the sea of crashing waves and ripping currents. In place of the beast was a SeaWing dragonet no older than 4, with blue scales along it's back, and it's underbelly was close to the color of sand. And at the base of it's wings and horns were a few orange scales. It looked just like the creature he saw seconds ago.