Part 2: Chapter 16 & 17

(3rd Pov Sunny)

The plan was to go straight to the rainforest.
As tempted as Sunny was by the idea of meeting her father, she was more worried about her friends. She needed to get back and war them, fast.

But the weather had other plans.
A gale-force wind howled down the mountains that night, carrying with it was the worse storm Sunny had ever been caught in. Not that she'd encountered many, living in caves her whole life - but there was that one hurricane in the Kingdom of the Sea, and Sunny was sure that this was worse.

Or maybe it felt worse because she was caught outside with no shelter and rapidly becoming very, very wet.
The rain pelted her eyes and dragged down on her wings, while the wind kept trying to slam her into the cliffs, and the whole time, thunder roared as though the clouds were playing drums on the mountaintops.
And despite all that, Stormcaller was completely fine. The NightWing was barely even fazed by the strong winds and relentless rain, and he didn't even flinch at the lightning and thunder.

"You aren't built to fly through weather like this," Stormcaller said, as if he was built to fly in weather like this. "We can rest at Jade Mountain. Looks like you'll be meeting your father sooner than you expected."

Thoughts clouded Sunny's head as they veered toward Jade Mountain, the one solid thing she could identify in the driving storm. 'Will he be there? Will he want to meet me? Will he be scary, or awful, or dangerous? Will he be like Orca, the crazy animus SeaWing who killed all those dragonets?'
It was nice to have Stormcaller with her, so she didn't have to meet her mysterious, powerful, potentially homicidal father alone.

Soaking wet, exhausted, and shivering from the cold and anxiety, Sunny finally crash-landed in a cave high up on the mountain's south side next to Stormcaller. She stumbled to a stop, scraping her scales painfully on the rocky floor, and shook out her wings in a flurry of droplets.

Stormcaller spread his wings and his chest let off a fiery red glow like he had done in the Ice Kingdom. An aura of warmth flowed off of him and began to dry Sunny off. it also lit up the cave a little bit.

It was dark inside, and Sunny thought it was unlikely that she's have accidently wandered into the exact cave where her father lived. Surely there were other caves all over the mountain. 

Stormcaller held up a thick branch that he found in the dim light he was letting off and set one end ablaze with a plume of fire. The flickering light revealed a gap in the rocks in the back corner. When the two of them investigated, they found a sort of natural tunnel that seemed to lead further into the mountain, to a cave system that probably ran all the way through it.

"Do you want to meet your father now, or stay here for the night?" Stormcaller asked, gazing into the tunnel.
She hesitated, leaning against the stone wall. Should they rest here and fly on in the morning? Maybe they could leave unnoticed and come back when she had more dragon with her. Not that she didn't trust Stormcaller's capabilities, it's just, would he be able to survive a fight with a potentially homicidal animus dragon? 
'But how could I get this close to my father and not try to see him?'

She thought of Peril and Kestrel, and how Peril thought they'd have more time to get to know each other. 'You never know what might happen.'
That decided her.

She faced Stormcaller and put on as brave of a face as she could. "I'm ready to meet my father," she said.
Stormcaller blinked at her a few times before smiling, more than she'd seen him smile before. "I'll lead the way, if it makes you feel any better."
Sunny nodded and internally let out a sigh of relief. It did make her feel better.

She followed Stormcaller for what felt like a long time. She marked tunnels with her claws whenever they came across a fork in the tunnel because Stormcaller didn't. He moved along as if he knew where he was going, which Sunny didn't doubt. They passed caves dripping with stalactites, clambered over rocks like giant bubbles, flew over a dark pool with no ripples when the firelight reflected eerily across the glassy surface.