Part 2: Chapter 19, 20, & 21

(3rd pov Clay)

"Disappointing," Queen Scarlet said to Burn, as the crowd of dragons erupted into cheers.
"Catastrophic," Burn growled. "Look, the idiots love her now."
Dragons were leaning over the top of the arena walls to throw small jewels at Tsunami. A couple of little emeralds bounced off her scales as she dropped Gill's head and stepped back from his limp body.

Tsunami gave the cheering dragons a disgusted look' but that didn't stop them.
"Don't worry. I have a plan," said Queen Scarlet. She rubbed her front talons together. "But now it's time for the NightWing! My hatching-day present to me!"

Starflight's terrified eyes locked with Clay's. All his know-it-all superiority vanished in a heartbeat.
"Wait!" Clay cried as the guards started to unchain Starflight. "Let me fight for him instead!"

"These dragonets," Scarlet said, waving a claw at Burn. "Constantly pushing and shoving to save each other. It's just the weirdest thing." She signaled to the guards with one talon, and they hauled Starflight off to the tunnel. Clay leaned his full weight against his chains but they held fast. The blood red SkyWing grabbed Clay's horns and pulled him back with a single talon.

"You're not spoiling this for me, MudWing." Scarlet said. "I've been dying to see the NightWing fight after the other one escaped. He's so very sparkly and good-looking. I think after he's dead I'll cut off his wings and hang them on my throne room walls. Wouldn't that be magnificent and thrilling? All those silver scales sparkling like diamonds against obsidian. I love it."

Burn growled low in her throat. "This is a frivolous palace," she muttered.
"Careful how you speak of your allies," Scarlet said. "Remember you need us."
Burn shifted her wings and kept her mouth shut.
No one had chained up Tsunami after her fight. She was still standing in the arena, her back turned to the SeaWing corpse, which was already beginning to smell of dead fish.

Then Starflight was shoved out of the tunnel, and Clay realized what Scarlet's plan was. Hope fluttered inside him. Tsunami would never kill Starflight. Not in a million years. Not even to stop one of his endless lectures about the science of fire-breathing.

"I'm sure you all heard about the NightWing prisoner who escaped last night?" Vermillion said from the safety of a ledge opposite to the queen's balcony. Multiple dragons yelled boo. "But that's okay, because we have another real live NightWing. Is he the dragonet of the prophecy? Let's see what happens when two of them have to fight each other. Tsunami of the SeaWings and Starflight of the NightWings! Claws up, teeth ready! Fight!

Tsunami and Starflight stood looking at each other. Tsunami's sides were heaving, and she was covered in Gill's blood. She looked a bit scarier than usual, and Starflight clawed the sand nervously, as if he wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't snap and kill him.

Slowly Tsunami walked over to Starflight. He opened his wings, and she leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulder.
"BOOO ... ooo?" called a solitary voice called from the crowd, dropping off as no one joined in.
"Awwwww," went a few dragons in the upper seats, far enough from the queen that they wouldn't be recognized.

"This is getting worse and worse," Burn hissed through gritted teeth.
"Aren't you going to fight?" Queen Scarlet called. Tsunami and Starflight didn't even look up. "That's very annoying," the queen added. "Go on, you've been stuck with each other for years. You must be ready to kill her, NightWing. Doesn't she drive you mad?"

Clay looked past the SkyWing guard and at Glory, wishing she'd smile at him. She'd joked often enough about ways to shut up both Tsunami and Starflight. But her eyes stayed closed.
"No?" Scarlet leaned forward. "Oh, fine, be the worst gladiators ever. Vermillion! Release the scavenger!"