Part 1: Chapter 3 & 4

(3rd Pov Tsunami)

The Bay of a Thousand Scales was farther away than Tsunami had realized. She'd been studying the map of Pyrrhia since she was tiny, but it was hard to fit that picture over the enormous world below her. She kept expecting to find neat little spirals of islands that would fit in the palm of her talon. Instead, she found herself flying over vast expanses of empty ocean, dotted here and there with a solitary little outcropping of rock.

After they took a long detour inland to convince the SkyWing they'd gone in the opposite direction, they circled around south and flew out to sea. they managed to make it to a small rocky island shortly after night fell, but according to Starflight (and Stormcaller) they were still a long way away from the Bay of a Thousand Scales. Starflight was going to calculate the distance and their speed to see how long it would take, but Stormcaller just said it would take a couple of days from where they were.

Still, Tsunami had to admit - if only to herself - that it was useful having two someone's with all the geography and flight plans in their head. For a few days they stopped when ever they saw an island, ate a seagull or fish if they could catch any, and then flew on. And every night, Stormcaller would take watch and then would fly with them without a wink of sleep. He also didn't eat once, saying that he didn't like the type of fish they were catching. Not once did he look exhausted, or want to stop, or try to catch food.
Tsunami tried diving into the ocean several times and was disappointed to discover she couldn't swim as fast as she flew. The only good news was that she discovered that the ocean water helped to heal the burn on her neck.

It was four mornings later was Tsunami finally woke up on an island that was officially part of the Thousand Scales.
She started awake from a dream in which their cave had collapsed and was slowly crushing her to death, and discovered that Clay had rolled over on top of her in the middle of the night. Grumbling, she wriggled out from under him and let his tail flop over into Starflight's head.

The six of them were packed into a cavern halfway up a tall sea cliff. It was cramped and uncomfortable and smelled of seagull droppings. Clay had barely been able to scrunch his wings low enough to crawl inside, Stormcaller didn't even fit inside the cave. Which is why he was sitting at the entrance, taking watch once again.
Starflight was the reason they were sleeping here. She glared at the NightWing which wasn't very satisfying since everyone was still snoring away, except for Stormcaller. Clay was stuffed against the back wall with Sunny between his front talons and Starflight curled up along side. even Glory had her tail draped over Clay's. Her scales glinted orange and gold in the light of the rising sun, with bursts of red when she shifted sleepily.

Starflight had been acting so weird since the NightWings gave him back. Suddenly it seemed like he wanted to argue with Tsunami about everything. If she said, "Let's sleep on the beach! It'll be fun!" he'd say, "No, no, we have to sleep in a hidden cave; that'll be much safer." Safer! As if there was anything to worry about all the way out here, in the middle of the night. Normally, Stormcaller would side with Tsunami, but this time and a few other times he would side with Starflight. When she asked why they should sleep in the cave and that no dragons would find them out here, he said "It's not dragons I'm worried about finding us."

But they were still mad at her about attacking that soldier (minus Stormcaller); so the rest of them all voted with Starflight.
She didn't like that development at all.
Tsunami watched them sleep for a moment. It was so hard to lead effectively when everyone kept questioning you and complaining about everything, well everyone except Stormcaller. She only wanted what was best for them. Didn't they know that? She'd always figured she would fight a hundred SkyWings to protect them.

'But maybe I shouldn't. Maybe my friends don't want my protection after all.'
Maybe they wanted Starflight to be their leader instead. Even though he'd never risked one scale on his body for them. A loud sigh cut off her thought. She looked at Stormcaller. He was sitting in the rocky floor, his tail wrapped around his talons. His head hung low and his wings covering most of his body from from view.
She peeked around his wings.