Part 1: Chapter 3 & 4

(3rd Pov Sunny)

Dangling wet vines smacked against Sunny's snout as she flew up into the treetops. She remembered what she'd learned from the RainWings and rainforest flying and kept her wings tucked and close. She couldn't use her tail to swing from the trees like they did, but she was small enough to maneuver through narrow gaps and swerve quickly.

But the three NightWings were right behind her, roaring angrily.
'I should lead them back to the tunnels and the others. Glory needs to know that they're not loyal - she need to lock them up and keep an eye on them.'
'For how long?' Sunny wondered. 'Forever? They'll never be trustworthy; they'll always be plotting to overthrow her. What do you do with dragons like that?'

One of her wings hit a branch as she flew past and a family of monkeys went leaping off into the trees, howling and chattering with alarm. She twisted to glance back and saw a bolt of fire engulf one of the monkeys as the NightWings attacked them, thinking it was her.

'They won't be foolish enough to follow me all the way back,' Sunny thought, 'even if I can keep ahead of them for that long. They won't let themselves be caught. What will they do instead?'

She narrowly missed knocker herself out with a giant tree branch, ducking to avoid it at the last second.
'The same plan, just without me. They'll go to Burn and tell her we're here in the rainforest - where her army can find us easily. I need to hide. I need to think.'

She curled into a ball and threw herself into one of the dragonfruit trees, where the leaves were huge and overlapped one another like scales. Her momentum nearly carried herself out the the other side, but she was able to fling her talons out and hook onto the trunk, slamming her body into it. She froze in place, clinging to the rough bark, hoping the NightWings lost sight of her in the dark.

"By all the moons, Strongwings!" Fierceteeth swore from somewhere to Sunny's left. "How could you let her escape?"
"Sorry," his voice mumbled.
"She's gone," said Preyhunter. "We'll never find her now - not without running the risk of a RainWing spotting us."
"Let's get out of here," said Strongwings. "Before she brings back reinforcements."

"Talons and tails!" Fierceteeth hissed. "We needed her!"
"We still have useful information for the next SandWing queen," said Preyhunter. "They all want to know where the dragonets are. If we hurry, we'll be the only ones selling that information, and we don't need the SandWing as proof. We're NightWings; everyone believes us."
"Makes sense. Let's go," Strongwings said.

And with a flurry of wingbeats, the dragons headed for the dark open sky above the trees.
Sunny's claws were trembling with the effort to stay still. She took a deep breath.
'If I go back and tell the others, we can follow them. But by the time they listen to me - if they listen to me at all - the NightWings will be long gone.'

Sunny was used to the way her friends talked over her all the time. If she really wanted to be heard, she usually had to get Clay's attention and have him make her suggestions for her. Which wasn't fair - she had good ideas! - but her friends never expected her to have anything useful to say. They also didn't trust her to keep secrets; they hadn't even told her about it when they were all planning to escape their guardians. All they wanted was for her to be cheerful and supportive and agree with everything they wanted to do.

Would Glory even listen if Sunny tried to tell her about the rogue NightWings?  Wouldn't she be too busy? What if she just rolled her eyes at Sunny, the way she often did?

"I don't want to be 'distracted' from worrying about the prophecy," Sunny muttered. "I want to do something."
Like stopping the NightWings. 'I could follow them right now. I might be the only dragon who can stop them before they tell Burn where we are.'