Part 3: Chapter 23 & 24

(3rd Pov Starflight)

Sunny spread her warm golden wings and Starflight fitted his own wings around hers for a hug. It always felt exactly where her should be, even if just for a moment.

"I'm so glad you're all right!" she said, stepping back and examining him for injuries. "I was checking on Webs and then this SkyWing came in, of all things, and I was showing the healers how to get cactus milk into his wound when someone said two NightWings brought him in and I knew it must be you. You know, I wanted to go through and find you, but Glory said no." She wrinkled her snout at the new queen.
"Glory was right. It's too dangerous there," Starflight said.

"Oh, please. Where have we been lately that isn't dangerous?" Sunny said. "All the more reason we should go rescue you. Although I wasn't really worried, because of course you had to be fine so we could fulfil the prophecy, right? And look, you rescued yourself, which is so impressive."
Starflight guessed that the grin on his own face was probably a little goofy, but he couldn't seem to squelch it.

"And you are?" Fatespeaker interjected, clearing her throat and sliding so close to Starflight that she bumped one of his wings.
"I'm Sunny," said the little SandWing. She tilted her head at Fatespeaker. "Wow, your silver scales are so cool. That one looks like a bracelet - like you were born with your own treasure."

Fatespeaker's wings relaxed a little bit. She held out her talons to peer at the anklet of star-bright scales. "I never thought of it like that. I was about to say your scales are a great color. All the SandWings I've met were sore of pale and dusty-looking."

"I know, I'm weird," Sunny said agreeably. "You're the alternate NightWing, right? Glory said Stormcaller's letters mentioned you a few times."
"Who's Stormcaller? You've mentioned him a few times before." Fatespeaker asked.
"He's," Starflight said, then paused, "he's a friend of ours that's trying to help us stop the NightWings. He also was the one that discovered the ancient dragons."

Fatespeaker made a face that looked as if she just figured out the last piece of an odd puzzle. Starflight wondered if he made a similar look when he figured out something important.

"What was it like growing up in the Talons of Peace camp?" Sunny asked.
"So bizarre," Fatespeaker said, folding her wings and leaning toward Sunny. "We were always moving around so that no one could find us. And everyone talked about peace, but it seemed like all we were doing was avoiding soldiers and waiting for the prophecy to some true."

"But it must have been amazing to live with so many dragons from different tribes," Sunny said, her eyes shinning. "You'd get to see what really makes them different, and the ways they're all the same, too."

"I was thinking about that!" Fatespeaker said. "I was the only NightWing, so I was always trying to figure out which other tribe I was most like. But-"
"- you could find something in common with all of them" Sunny guessed.
"Exactly!"

"All right," Glory interrupted. "As strangely adorable as you two are, I need you to either go away and discover your twin souls somewhere else, or focus on battle planning with me."
"Battle planning," Fatespeaker and Sunny said simultaneously.

Glary gave Starflight an odd, somewhat amused look, and he shifted uncomfortably, although he wasn't sure why. He liked that Fatespeaker and Sunny liked each other, but it also made him weirdly uneasy.

luckily, at that moment, Mangrove, Oleander, and Toad arrived with the elegant older dragon Starflight had seen in Kinkajou's dream.

"Let's take this meeting to the tunnel," Glory said. "I need Tsunami's and Clay's input, too." She reached into her desk and pulled out a mess of papers, spread her wings, and soared off the balcony into the trees.