Part 1: Chapter 1 & 2

Part One: The Shifting Sands

Year 5,011 AS

(3rd Pov Sunny)

Sunny had always know that she was the right dragon for a Big Heroic Destiny.
She was going to save the world. She and her friends were going to swoop in on wings of fire, whatever that meant, and bring peace to every dragon in Pyrrhia. It was right there in the prophecy: five dragons born to end the fight. That was her fate. That was her purpose.

Besides, it explained everything. Why else was she so small and weird-looking? She wasn't a normal SandWing. Her scales and eyes were the wrong color, and she had no venomous barb at the end of her tail. But that didn't matter; in fact, it made sense. Of course a dragon hero with an epic noble quest would be a little different from everyone else. And who would care how strange she looked once she stopped the war.

Then there were her parents, the mysterious dragons who had left her egg buried in the sand in the desert, along and unguarded. It didn't matter that they obviously didn't want her. It didn't bother Sunny at all, because it was part of the prophecy: Hidden alone from the rival queens, the SandWing egg awaits unseen. That was all right; heroes in the scrolls often had no parents. Their heroic destiny was more important than any family.

And her destiny was important. There was nothing more important than stopping the war between the dragon tribes. All her life, especially whenever she felt trapped or sad or worried about anything, Sunny had imagined fulfilling the prophecy - how many lives they would save and all the happy, reunited families and all the future dragonets who could grow up in peace, without the constant fear of war.
That was the entire point of her life.
And it was lie.

Rock walls scraped against her wings as she scrambled away from the NightWing island. She could feel the rumbles of the volcano all the way through her claws. Her friends were behind her, still facing Morrowseer, but she had to get away from them, from him, from everything.
'He made up the prophecy. It was all a trick.
No.
I don't believe it. He's a vindictive, cruel dragon who's always manipulated us and everyone around him. He would say anything to hurt us.
The prophecy is real. It had to be.
'

She burst out of the tunnel into the rainforest and immediately slammed into the side of a skinny black dragon. The NightWing grunted with surprise and glared at her. Sunny tried to turn and fly the other way, but a floundering wall of black wings and talons and tail drove her back.

In the moonlight, the entire rainforest seemed to be seething with dragons. Roars and hisses and growls drowned out the sound of the raindrops pattering on the leaves all around them. It didn't help that half of the dragons were dark as the shadows and the other half were camouflaged, so claws and corners of wings seemed to poke out of nowhere. Sunny narrowly avoided a tail in her ear when two NightWings got caught in dangling vine and whipped around violently as if they were being attack.

"Everyone calm down!" Glory's voice shouted.
"Listen!" bellowed Grandeur, the old royal RainWing. "Your new queen is speaking!"
Several NightWings muttered under their breath, but none loud enough to be heard, and even they fell silent as others hissed at them.

Sunny ducked and wriggled through the crowd, but she couldn't get any farther than the stream. Several RainWings stood by the water, in shades of blue and purple, holding NightWing spears. Most of them ruined the effect by peering at the spears with mystified expressions, or holding them upside down.
Still, Sunny decided not to try and push past them. Those spears would hurt just as much if they poked her by accident as on purpose.

What she really wanted to do was crash away into the rainforest and not come back. She wasn't sure she could face her friends - who acted as if they didn't care about the prophecy at all - and she couldn't even look at the NightWings.
'Tsunami wants to believe Morrowseer. She's never wanted to fulfill the prophecy. She doesn't understand how important it is.
Clay would be just as happy if nobody ever noticed how wonderful he is. Then he could just sleep and eat and take care of us instead of fighting.
Starflight would love to stop worrying about the prophecy.
And Glory has enough to do here, now that she's queen.
Stormcaller's the only one who seems willing to fight for the prophecy, and he's not even in it.
The others certainly won't listen to me if I try to explain that Morrowseer must have been lying. They'll give me that look I always get, the one that says: "Oh, silly Sunny and her crazy dream, isn't she cute and harmless."
'