Chapter 24- Winnie

As I trudge into the cafeteria line to grab the gross food, I glance behind me. That was a bad idea, because of course Norman is standing right behind me. I choose to ignore him and wait impatiently as the line progresses.

"Winnie?" I turn around yet again, to see Norman staring back at me with a solemn expression.

"What do you want Norman?" My voice is flat and I hope he knows that whatever I felt for him before is gone now.

"I...I wanted to apologize for last night. I was just really stressed out, and I got nervous. I really, really care about you." As much as I want to hug him and smile at him, I just nod slightly and give him a halfhearted smile.

"Can we...talk later?" He says, and I, of course, respond.

"Yeah, of course, Norman. When?" If his response is what I think it will be, he wants to do anything but 'talk'.

"I was thinking we could go to my house, for like an hour. I mean, if you want." His house? For an hour? Yeah, he definitely doesn't want to talk. What he really wants is to do me like homework. And I wouldn't mind that, even though I'm usually not the most forgiving person. For Norman, I can make some exceptions.

"Sounds good. See you in science." I grab a tray and make my way into the cafeteria, trying not to burst with joy.

Soon, I see Helga and Arcadia talking to each other. They seem excited about something, and I'm dying to tell them what has just happended, so I go over to them with a nonchalant smile on my face.

"Hey guys. Arcadia, are you okay?" She never texted me back from the party, so I assumed the worst, not to mention the fact that there is a huge bandage covering her nose.

"To be honest, Winnie..." A huge grin crosses her face.

"Okay, I'm better than fine. Last night, after you went outside, there was a huge fight between Charles and Mack, but I don't know what it was about. Anyways, I got punched in the nose by Janie and Charles helped clean up the blood and he took me home and then drove me to school this morning!!" Arcadia is one of the fastest talkers I know and there was no puncuations in the sentences she just said, so it was a little hard to understand her. Still, I understood enough and am overjoyed for Arcadia. Helga fills me in on the other minor details, and Then I tell them about my recent confrontation with Norman. When I'm done, both their mouths are hanging wide open and I can't help but feel accomplished.

We walk to third period after that and take our seats, and I smile at Norman as he walks into the room. He sits down and turns to me.

"You have a leaf right here," He says, and takes it out of my hair. I get butterflies and am forced to turn away before he notices i'm blushing.

At the end of the day, I walk over to Norman and he smiles and waves at me.

"Okay, I texted my mom I would be home late, so let's go," I say, and smile back at him.

"Okay, let's go. My car is over here." Of course, he has a tesla. I think it's cute that on their sixteenth birthdays Charles and Norman got matching teslas, but who has that much money? Once we get to his house, he shows me around and then introduces me to the three dogs he and Nora have. Alpha, Aster, and March. They're so cute, I think of ditching Norman and instead playing with them. But, when I look at Norman, who is waiting for me at the foot of the stairs, I change my mind.

Once we're in his room, he closes the door and I'm left waiting for what will happen next.