Chapter 2 - Arcadia

Thank God I think, as the bell rings. One more minute of corny introductions and I would have had no choice but to jump out a window. As I walk to my second-period PE class, I accidentally bump into a cute guy with a pile of wavy hair. "Sorry about that," He smirks. I quickly smile and walk away, trying to shake the queasy feeling of butterflies in my stomach.

Then, I spot Isa and run straight to her, attacking her with a hug.

"Hey bestie", she says with a slight smile on her face. Remembering the interaction I had just experienced, I fill her in.

"Oh yeah, I know him. That's Charles. We sit next to each other in first period."

"Lucky." I say, looking around longingly for him.

Isa looks at me with exasperation. "What about Bennet?" Reality slaps me in the face when I remember Bennet Cusack, who I reconnected with over the summer.

"Yeah, but we're not even dating," I argue. "It's more of a friends-with-benefits situation."

"Sure", She says, rolling her eyes, used to the way I act when a cute guy walks into my life. Literally this time.

As if he can read my mind, Bennet walks over. "Speak of the devil," I mutter under my breath. Isla hears me and tries to cover up her laughter.

"Hey girls. What are you guys laughing about?" He says. I try not to cringe when I look at him and then Isa giving me the stinkeye.

"Just something from middle school that we just remembered" I lie. Just then, he walks over to stand closer to me and attempts to put his arm around me.

"I missed you," He says under his breath. It makes me wrinkle my nose and I quickly cover it up with a smile that looks more like a grimace.

"Well, gotta get to class!" He says, and I shrug his arm off of me.

"Bye," I say halfheartedly. As soon as he's gone, I let out a huge sigh of relief. Isa stares at me for a minute and then shakes her head.

"That was painful to watch," She says sympathetically.

But I'm too distracted to listen to her because at that moment Charles walks by. I sigh again, but this time out of happiness.

"Here we go again," Isa says. "I should set a reminder on my phone for two weeks and see who the next guy is." I roll my eyes before shoving her playfully. At that moment, the bell rings, leaving everyone to scramble to their classes.